Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

cam help please..

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hiya every one. I'm wanting to upgrade my cam and go with the Lunati retro roller lifters kit and the crane roller rocker retro kit on my 79 302.
There is two things I would like to ask yall about.
How high of a lift can I go on a cam with out worrying about valve clearance? what would be a good range to go with? really just looking for a good rv type cam and some thing that can give me a little lopey sound. And also if I go with all these mods will I have to change push rod size? and would it be a good idea to change my springs to? I'm stepping in to area's I've never tread before so any help would be awesome Thanks guys!!! FTF is thy Shiznak

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Really can't give an exact # for max lift but I ran a cam that was 512 lift in a 5.0 and it worked, don't think you'd want that much being a truck. I would look for a cam that has some good low range torque. I would definatly change the springs, you may have to change push rods when you go with the roller rockers.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Really can't give an exact # for max lift but I ran a cam that was 512 lift in a 5.0 and it worked, don't think you'd want that much being a truck. I would look for a cam that has some good low range torque. I would definatly change the springs, you may have to change push rods when you go with the roller rockers.

512 lift thats pretty high, Do you think if I stayed under 4 some thing I would be fine?

My two cents on this...

To put a roller cam in an older block you're gonna spend $800+ for all the parts(cam, lifters, pushrods, springs), that's a lot of coin considering it's not buying you much extra performance over a flat tappet cam with similar specs. Summit has a couple flat tappet RV kits for $99 that will give you what you want, no need for different springs or pushrods.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-K3600&autoview=sku

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I like your 2 cents I like them allot =).
Just one question after seeing that my springs were not changed when I had my engine rebuilt even after I paid them to, would it be a good idea to change them out for good measure??

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I like to put new springs in when changing to a larger cam, sometimes the old ones will work just fine but I don't want to take any chances with springs binding or breaking from being compressed more.

Agreed on the springs, it's cheap insurance and not hard to do. The stock springs are just barely adequate when new and weaken over time producing a loss of power and the potential for failure.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Last edited:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I was thinking since i'm in there might as well change the pushrods out.
I found these what to yall think i've never heard of the brand..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Part...QddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120276914028
Also what do you think about this? any better then the summit brand cam or Junk

I try to stick with brand name stuff when im building an engine, summit is usually ok never had any problems with there stuff. Just remember you get what you pay for.

Ford Truck Articles