Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hei Distributor Conversion

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Hello, ive installed an HEI distributor in my 79 f-250. 460 eng. it is what i recieved when i bought the truck. my question is,how do i wire it up correctly? i have removed the duraspark system from under the hood & like the idea of a 1 wire hookup. i appreciate any help thanks

Fellro

Staff member
You need a wire that has power when cranking as well as with the key on, and that is it. The DS system has one wire hot when cranking, one when key is in the run position. Been long enough since I dealt with the older trucks, not sure what you would want to hook up. Not sure if you would want to tie the two together...

buzz i installed the same on mine on the main wireing harnness on the fire wall by the brake booster take a test light and a freind and have him/her turn the key on/off test the wires untill you find it i must also light up when the engine is cranked this will be your 12 volt on start/run wire this is the one you want [i could be brown with a white stripe] this will come from you ign switch hook this do the dist + the other one will be marked tach and usualy will be the green wire from the tach marked coil hope this helps regurds joe

buzz not sure what brand you have but one thing i forgot if its one of those $50.00 ebay speicials [i run 3 of them in my 460s and they work good] check the rotor if it has the plastic clip that holds the metal tab in place replace it with and original gm part as they use epoxy to hold them in the tab will fall out leaving you dead in the water as it happened to me also check all the screws for tightness their quality control seems a bit lax regurds joe

BuzzGun79

Thanks Roger & Joe, your explanations are helpfull,seems pretty basic.yes Roger i to do my own work as well gotta save them $$$$$.i just suck at wiring lol.Joe im not sure the make of the dist but from my own inspection of it,it appears to be a billet unit. i went up to summit & got one of their complete tune up kits for it so all parts are new,i will check the rotor & all screws.Thanks Again Guys Bob

1979 F250

Fellro

Staff member
The design likely is based on the GM units, most of the ones I have seen are. Looking at the pics on Summit, that is the GM cap, rotor and coil, as well as pickup coil and ignition module. Get parts for a mid 70's GM V8 and you will get the same parts for less.

Don’t mean to high jack this…BUT what is the advantage of the HEI over the DuraSpark?

i liked the fact on my trucks that i got rid of all the old wireing/the control box that could leave you stranded/a faster,ajustable advance curve, 1 wire hookup, makes detailing the engine compartment nicer on my show trucks,and the cool factor i have run them for years with no trouble at all

So faster, adjustable advance curve. I have no Experience in adjusting this. how do you do it? HEI is sounding better to me...around 50 bucks on EBay.

Fellro

Staff member
there is a small allan screw in the vac advance canister you would access this screw by removing the hose that goes to the carb turning one way advances one way returds but found i didnt have to ajust this screw as the timeing was fine as is and what i have found is any parts house carrys parts for the older gms

Thanks Roger & Joe, your explanations are helpfull,seems pretty basic.yes Roger i to do my own work as well gotta save them $$$$$.i just suck at wiring lol.Joe im not sure the make of the dist but from my own inspection of it,it appears to be a billet unit. i went up to summit & got one of their complete tune up kits for it so all parts are new,i will check the rotor & all screws.Thanks Again Guys Bob

1979 F250

Not to drag up an old thread, but it pertains directly to the next step on my truck.

Did you find the correct wire that was hot in the "start" and "run" positions? If so, which one did you use?

Thanks a million.

BuzzGun79

on my rig it was the white wire, this was the constant ign wire that feeds the duraspark box with key on & in start position

Ford Truck Articles