Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'11 F-350 vs '09 2500 HD

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
As it happened, I was jumping back and forth between two trucks for a while on Friday at work. (I just needed a way to move around, so I got the truck that didn't have anything in it that anyone else needed to use.) I also rode several hours as a passenger in the Chevy.

Both trucks were gas crew cab 4x4s with automatics. Not a clue which engine is in either, but they were both ordered for fleet use...

The Ford is a one-ton longbed, that was nearly empty, and has around 24k miles. XL trim.

The Chevy is a 3/4 ton shortbed, with maybe 800 lbs (really rough guess- could be a fair bit heavier) in the bed, and around 35k miles. LT trim, I think.

We were surveying (running traverse), so I spent a lot of time turning around and driving up and down the road a quarter mile at a time. Neither truck is exactly ideal for 3-point turns, but I was somewhat surprised to find that the Ford actually turns a lot better than the Chevy, despite an extra 2 feet of bed. You can tell it's longer, but the turning radius is tighter.

The Chevy is definitely more comfortable, though I think it's a higher trim level. Rides better, too, which is undoubtedly helped by being a 3/4 ton with some weight vs. an empty one-ton. It's also noticeably quieter.

The dashboard in the Ford said average MPG ~14.6; the guy who's been assigned the Chevy since it was new told me he usually gets around 14, too, but if it didn't have a governor (70 mph) he thinks it'd probably do more like 17.

Tires and loading play in, of course, but for as many times as I pulled to the side of the road then back into traffic, I only spun a tire once in the grass- in the Ford. The Chevy seemed to have smoother throttle tip-in, which in combination with the extra weight made it easier to drive, even with worse tires.

Much as I hate to admit it, if I was given the choice of these trucks as a fleet rig to drive for the next several years...I'd take the Chevy. The tighter turning in the Ford was handy, but they're both such big pigs it's almost irrelevant, and the Chevy does just about everything else better. Add in the lower ride height (easier to load/unload stuff) and, well...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Doesn't that Chevy have full IFS compared to a straight axle on the Ford?

That would definitely play into the ride quality (at the cost of durability/strength). Just sayin...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I think so, yeah. Hard to say how much of the improved ride is due to being lighter duty, how much due to the heavier load, and how much to the suspension design, but I'm sure it plays in.

That empty FX4 F-350 doesn't really ride any worse than my '09 Ranger, though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It's been my experience if you're looking for a car/grocery getter/soccer-mom-mobile with a t-case, go Chubby...if you're looking for a pure brute, go Ford. But with some options available today, I think both can fit the criteria for the latte sippers out there...but both can be outfitted to be capable rigs.

Last edited:

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
After doing a lot of trailer-ing, I still have to say that Chevrolet is ahead of the game compared to Ford. The Duramax/Allison combo is magnificent when it comes to towing. When spending all day in the truck, and many miles on the road, the comfort of the Chevrolet surpasses the Ford. We have been running a 2500 as a hotshot truck, and have no complaints when it comes to durability. This is not nice highway use, either. This is gravel and dirt roads that are torn up by oilfield traffic. Fuel mileage is far better, as well.

That being said... I am still a die hard Ford guy, and would choose a Super Duty over the Chevrolet as my personal truck, but I feel that the Chevrolet just happens to be better at its job than the Ford. :(

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Its my personal opinion that Chevies have a very cheap fit and finish, and just cheap overall quality. All of the trucks, suburbans, cars, etc that I've been in have all been very cheaply made. Leather peeling back, plastic permanently discoloring, knobs breaking off, etc.

Its my personal opinion that Chevies have a very cheap fit and finish, and just cheap overall quality. All of the trucks, suburbans, cars, etc that I've been in have all been very cheaply made. Leather peeling back, plastic permanently discoloring, knobs breaking off, etc.

Comparing our 2008 Suburban LTZ to a 2007 Expedition EL Limited that my uncle has that fit and finish as well as the ergonomics on the Suburban are better than the Fords. It also rides smoother and in my opinion has a more visually pleasing interior. Apparently the 5.4 tows better than the 5.3 though. As for wear and tear after about 50K miles our Suburban has no abnormal wear and the interior is as good as new. Also, is it just me or does GM really know how to make a seat?

Now back to
smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Perhaps it's personal opinion because I've the exact opposite experience with all Chevy trucks and SUVs, as well as Tristas Cobalt.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts