Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tips, Tricks and References

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey all dont know if you know of this website but you can search all local junkyard inventories country wide at

www.car-parts.com

I love this website I have used it to find very difficult to locate pieces for my Charger.....

That was nifty as hell. That will come in handy.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
When installing a dome light and running the new wiring, either use a piece of string to lead the wires down the A-pillar (same principle as running it for a new antenna) or if you notice you're binding up somewhere, I used and straightened a wire hanger.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you get a slice or gash in a power steering line, get some rubber epoxy, try to fill it in (gash) or keep it together (slice) with the rubber epoxy. Then take a piece of hose with an I.D no bigger than the busted hose's O.D. (I went with 1/8" smaller). Cut that piece of hose in to a nice length of patching material. Then slice it length wise on one side. Open it up, lather the inside with the epoxy. Then wrap around the damaged hose. Then clamp down with appropriately sized hose clamps.

So far it's held up for 2 days. Hopefully, it can make it another 5 when I can park it and get back in the Bronco. I'd also like to note this is in fact on a high pressure line, and there have been ZERO leaks. I don't know how long it will or can hold up, and definitely would not advise as a permanent fix. But if you're like me, and down to your last vehicle and you can't wait 7-10 days to have a new one shipped in, or you can't wait 3-5 days to have a new hose made, it'll have to do. I actually got this trick from my father, he said he's used it for a few days at a time after ripping/tearing something out on a trail.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
...just take the power steering belt off. ;)

Butthead in AZ

Very true...but 37" Boggers don't enjoy being nimble, so I'd much rather take the 15 minutes and risk blowing out again, then take the belt off if it doesn't hold, than go around with no PS without trying something. Especially true if you're on a trail or some other sort of tight quarters. Like I said, not a permanent fix, but it'll do and retain your PS for a few days.

Last edited:
Very true...but 37" Boggers don't enjoy being nimble, so I'd much rather take the 15 minutes and risk blowing out again, then take the belt off if it doesn't hold, than go around with no PS without trying something. Especially true if you're on a trail or some other sort of tight quarters. Like I said, not a permanent fix, but it'll do and retain your PS for a few days.

years ago I lost a belt wheelin one night, with 36" swampers. Wasn't fun getting home.

...besides that, it'd be hard on the steering column stuff having been setup
for power steering too, so the fix (if you accept the mission) is up to you
and your tire situation and your upper body strength? ;)

The "belt trick" worked for me in Mexico in the early 80's with 235/85-16E's.

Butthead in AZ

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you have an A/C box in your rig, I find it easier to pull and re-install the head with the header/manifold still attached. It's a little heavier lifting, but a time saver.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts