Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

All About Oil

This has got to be THE BEST writeup I have ever read about oil. It's a lengthy read, but well worth the time and effort.

http://www.boss302.com/oil.htm

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Good info.... most I already knew... but then again... I know all...

Now where did I leave my keys?????

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
The best part about having altzheimer's is that every 3 minutes I meet someone new... even if the same person!!!!!

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
So what he is saying if I switch to a full synthetic from a semi syn . it would help or would it cause more oil leaks, trying to wrap my brain around it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Stick with whatever your truck is used to... I switched from dino to synthetic and my rear main started leaking like a SUNOVAGUN! Switched back to dino and it slowed back down but its never been the same as before.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
im running semi syn and syn since the rebuild. no leaks once so ever! it used dino for its whole life but i want to treat my engine with the best since i put a lot of money into it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I plan on switching to synthetic after I get my rear main seal replaced, since now I know it won't create any OTHER leaks in my truck, it will just amplify the existing ones. And the rear main is the only one I've got (as far as I know).

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
My motor has 182K on it, no burning of oil, my question was if I switched to the " better full syn" , would it hurt or help?

Personally, I would stay with what you have been using.

Why....

1) You have 182,000 miles and all is well.

2) Dino is cheaper and if your changing oil and filter on a regular basis you will be fine.

3) Synthetic oil has some "cleaning" properties to it and it may dislodge some build-up that may block a passage somewhere or create a seal leak... so stay with what you've been using.

Don't try and out think the situation... with 182,000 miles... just keep on truck'n!!!!

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Stick with whatever your truck is used to... I switched from dino to synthetic and my rear main started leaking like a SUNOVAGUN! Switched back to dino and it slowed back down but its never been the same as before.

jepp mine is the other way around we always used dino and i tried syntetic then the rear main seal started leaking.. i changed back to dino it slowed down the leaking but it leaks :headbang:

but hey 261.+++ miles is allot aint it ? lol

anyone know is this product does what it says ?

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=82&catid=2&loc=show

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Depends....

On what kind of motor your putting it in.

Put it in a diesel PowerStroke and your oil will foam and airate to the point your injectors will be starved for oil.

Most oil companies formulate their oil to work and protect a certain way. Adding additives just screws up the balance of this formulation. Most additives are just a heavy-weight friction modifier and just thicken the oil to stop "blow-by" and leaks... but hinders the proper viscosity of the oil to circulate through your motor the way Ford intended it to. Changing the viscosity of your oil would be like adding 10W-40 when your car car calls for 10W-30 or 5W-20.

What happened is that the synthetic oil cleaned out the "gunk" that was sealing your oil leak. Bottom line is... you still have worn seals... it was just the gunk in the oil system that kept you from seeing it... so what do you want... no-gunk with a slight leak... or gunk and no leak???

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
This is the best part of the entire article:

"I stay away from Amsoil for reasons that are far too detailed."

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
While we are on the subject of oil, check out this TSB from Scamsoil!

Sounds like they have gotten into deep poo-poo claiming their NON-API certified oils can run for 25K miles! Notice with these "sludge prone" vehicles, they are recommending to use their ONLY API certified oil for gasoline engines (XL), and they are saying to stay with the vehicle manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals!!

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/pdf/TSB-engine-sludge-issues.pdf

Ford Truck Articles