Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Key Ratings to help you choose what oil to run.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
What things do you look for from an oil to see how well performing they are? I have the answers for you. If you have any questions Please Ask.

There are many different ratings Oil is based on as far as performance. These are some of the Key ratings.

Noack Volatility (ASTM D-6800): This is the number they put on the amount of evaporated lost weight of engine oil above a certain temperature.

AKA: How resistant you engine is to burn off. The lower the Number the Better. For API (American Petroleum Institute) it has to be less than 15. Anything around 10, is typically a Petroleum Based Product (Conventional, Syn Blend, Synthetics built based off petroleum with additive packs to make them “synthetic). 100% Pure Synthetics typically have a Noack Rating in the range of 5-7.5 depending on certain additives etc.)

Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172): This is a test in which they put weight on a piece of metal with a rotating piece lubed up with oil. They run it for 1 hour. Then Measure the Scar Thickness.

AKA: How well your oil protects against metal to metal wear. Once again Lower the scar thickness the better.

Total Base Number (ASTM D-2896): This is the measurement of a lubricants reserve alkalinity. This determines how effective the control of acids formed will be.

AKA: Acids (contaminants) are created through the combustion process. This rating is the effectiveness of suspending these contaminants and reducing the corrosive effects of this acid. The Higher the TBN (Total Base Number) the better at suspending these acids the oil is. Typical ratings for Gasoline Engines (shorter OCI’s) is 6-9. Ford Diesels (Longer OCI’s) is 10 and above Typically. Thus the higher TBN typically you can go longer on an oil change. Which diesels need a higher TBN due to the Soot they capture during Service.

Viscosity Index: Is the Measurement of Change in Viscosity with Variations in Temperature. The Higher the number the Less likely the Oil will change Viscosity.

These are the Standard numbers of the Industry. There are oils out now that are around 200

.35 Low
35.-.80 Medium
80.-.110 High
110..^ Very High

These Key Ratings above are some of the most Important ratings to help determine how good a Oil Performs.

Once again. Any Questions. Ask. I’ll answer what I know the answer too, and if I don’t know the answer I will find it out for you.

Last edited:

BIGRED911

Charter Member
Yep no problem.. That's what I'm here for!

Ok so tell me the differance in my 15w40 marine grade amsoil vs the 5w40 extended drain amsoil i was runnin other than the weight.... i know i looked it up before but i forgot, i think they were both above and beond in bout every catigory...lovin the 15w40 btw!

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Ok so tell me the differance in my 15w40 marine grade amsoil vs the 5w40 extended drain amsoil i was runnin other than the weight.... i know i looked it up before but i forgot, i think they were both above and beond in bout every catigory...lovin the 15w40 btw!

I'll let ya know in morning. Don't have access to my shizz tonight.. Not near my computer..

Ford Truck Articles