Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how well do you stick to changing oil after 3 months

how often do you change your oil

• 3,000 miles, i drive often/far (5k if that's how you roll)

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • 3 months, on the dot

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • i just keep adding oil b/c it leaks so bad

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 3+ months, when i get around to it

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm still not convinced on the 3,000 mile thing. After talking with some buddies, and the machine shop I use and other local racers, some of them told me they'll throw an engine together, break in the engine, take it to the track with the break in still in and have run like that for up to two years. Some of these guys are actually pretty successful too. To be honest, I was a little surprised considering alot of guys change every time before hitting the track.

That said...for no apparent reason, I'm going on 4,400 miles on my break in with no ill affects. But I do plan on changing it soon. No rhyme or reason to not changing it, just haven't.

The guys I talked to, say that the whole cam break in process (break in for 20 mins, change oil, run 1000 miles, change oil, run 3000 miles change oil, then change as need be) is more or less for when you go through the whole block and swap out cam bearings as well.

So I'm still inclined to believe what my grandfather told me after 40 years with Ford, change the oil every 10-12,000 miles and you're good.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'm still not convinced on the 3,000 mile thing. After talking with some buddies, and the machine shop I use and other local racers, some of them told me they'll throw an engine together, break in the engine, take it to the track with the break in still in and have run like that for up to two years. Some of these guys are actually pretty successful too. To be honest, I was a little surprised considering alot of guys change every time before hitting the track.

That said...for no apparent reason, I'm going on 4,400 miles on my break in with no ill affects. But I do plan on changing it soon. No rhyme or reason to not changing it, just haven't.

The guys I talked to, say that the whole cam break in process (break in for 20 mins, change oil, run 1000 miles, change oil, run 3000 miles change oil, then change as need be) is more or less for when you go through the whole block and swap out cam bearings as well.

So I'm still inclined to believe what my grandfather told me after 40 years with Ford, change the oil every 10-12,000 miles and you're good.

I guess as long as you check it in between and make sure it gets topped off and isn't black water, the engine will be fine through 10k miles.

FYI the Hitech racing engine shop that beefed up my rigs engine said to leave regular 10w40 petroleum engine for the first 10k normal driving miles before I did an engine flush and replaced with synthetic, which I did this summer when it rolled over 10k.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I guess as long as you check it in between and make sure it gets topped off and isn't black water, the engine will be fine through 10k miles.

I more than definitely do...I check just about every weekend. It's starting to get a little dark, but still has life.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
For a rebuild, I did 500 miles, 1000 miles, and 3000 miles. There was quite bit of shiny stuff in the oil at 500 miles. I also wanted to do some towing at 1000 miles, so I didn't want to take a chance.

As far as regular changes, I find that there is some white scum inside the valve covers from short runs(1 mile) where the engine doesn't warm up, so I change the oil at regular 3000 mile intervals or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Ford Truck Articles