Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Focus question

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
been debating on buying a used Focus to us as a daily driver and keep the miles off the truck. So what's the good, bad, and ugly about them? Been looking at the hatchback but could do the regular sedan too.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My ex got a Focus as part of the divorce settlement 12 ish years ago.....it was one of the two things she was happy about..the other being getting rid of me.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Nice car, extremely weird transmission. One requirement of purchase, has the trans repair been done yet? If there's a little bit of "oil" on the bell housing, it hasn't been done.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have a 08 focus sedan.
Great car only problem is I broke a door handle about 2 weeks ago, door was iced up and I yanked it and broke it.
On trips I average 39.9 mpg. oil chang s are easy nothing hidden .
great reliable car rides nice.
bought mine used with the transmission fixed

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
How old a used one? There was a major redesign a couple years ago.

Dad had an '00 sedan and an '07 hatchback. Both base-models with manual trans.

The '00 was less than stellar, the '07 was (is- my sister's driving it now) a great car. I drove 'em both cross country and averaged high 30s for mpg.

His wife has a '14 hatchback, midlevel trim with the automatic. No issues with it. I think the transmission is strange but not in a bad way. Doesn't seem to bother her and I would have bought the manual anyway.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
We have a crapload of them in the rental fleet. Seem to be very reliable, but the Autoatic transmission takes some getting used to. OK- maybe a lot of getting used to. It works the same as VW's DSG Automatic, which isn't a stellar reference point. On the plus side, it doesn't require a $500 trans service every40K miles like the VW.

As an alternative, I'd look at a prior bodystyle Fusion SEL with the 4 cyl/Auto. Decent power, great gas mileage, comfy, and hell for stout. In my own mind, it's the most car about $14K can buy. An example:

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car...2-7453a8407fd8&Ep=search:results:results page

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
We have a few of those (stripper fleet models) in the fleet at work, I put several hundred miles on one over the course of two days a year or so ago.

Solid, comfortable, pleasant to operate. But my recollection is that it was quite a bit thirstier than a Focus? Could be remembering wrong, though...I didn't drive it that long.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
My sister has a 2012 Focus. It's a mid-level trim package. She seems to really like it and hasn't required anything but oil so far. She bought it about 1.5 years old.

If memory serves, she says it gets about 32 on the highway and low 20's in stop-n-go traffic.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts