Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Issue with 2011 F-350 w/6.7

SanTanSmith

Retired and loving it
OK, not sure where to post this but here is my problem. At about 15k my truck would shudder and as best as I can relate it to is if the converter clutch was slipping. Truck would shake like on a wash board road. Couldn't make it do it but did several times. Constant speed and not speed related. Not steering wheel related. Would last a few blocks then quit. Dealership put recorder on it twice and finally decided it was a bad turbo. Replaced the turbo and took care of the problem for a little over 2 months. Now it is doing it again. As I said, I can't make it do it and might do it once a week and sometimes more often. Getting more violent as time goes on.
Hate to take up a recorder for extended time but guess will have to do it.

Anyone out there had similar problems? Love the power this thing has but it is the roughest riding truck I have ever had. Extremely bad ride issues. Dealer says I am not the only one with the problem. So far Ford has said that it is normal...

blacksnapon

Staff member
sure its not the "death wobble"?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Severe vibrations of the wheel brought on while turning, hitting a bump, braking, tire vibrations. Generally it stops after slowing down. Can start at almost any speed.

SanTanSmith

Retired and loving it
Vibration happens with none of the above. Happens going straight steady speed usually 45 to 60 mph smooth road. This isn't a vibration like a wheel/tire problem. Whole truck shakes, not steering wheel. Almost like running over strips on the side of the road to wake you up. Last time they said it was the turbo that was bad. Going to have to get a recorder on it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
FORD: 2011 F-250, F-350, F-450

ISSUE:
Some 2011 F-Super Duty F-250, F-350 and F-450 vehicles equipped with 4X4 and built 2/5/2010 through 8/1/2010 may exhibit a steering wheel oscillation after hitting rough pavement or an expansion joint during a slight left turn at 80-89 Km/h (50-55 MPH).

ACTION:
Refer to the Service Procedure to improve steering wheel oscillations.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

This Service Procedure will help minimize steering wheel oscillations on impacts, however, there may be some remaining minor oscillation which would be considered normal. If there are aftermarket modifications to the chassis, suspension, or steering systems, do not proceed with this article.

Check tire inflation and inflate tires to pressure indicated on the placard inside driver's door.
Remove existing steering damper. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 211-03 exploded view.
Test the steering damper by compressing and extending it with the damper oriented so the tapered stud end is up and the bushing end is down. Constant resistance should be detected between compression and extension cycling. If the steering damper does not exhibit constant resistance between compression and extension cycles, replace the steering damper and torque bolt to 103 N-m (76 lb-ft).
If the steering damper exhibits constant resistance between compression and extension cycles, reinstall the original steering damper and torque bolt to 103 N-m (76 lb-ft) and proceed with normal diagnostics.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BC3Z-3E651-B Damper Assembly

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110614A 2011 F-Super Duty 4X4: Check And Adjust Tire Pressure, And Replace The Steering Damper (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.4 Hr.

SanTanSmith

Retired and loving it
Bad Turbo - Again

Just got my truck back from the dealer. They replaced the turbo for the second time. Also earlier they replaced an injector. Not very happy with this truck right now. Only got 27k miles on it. :headbang:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts