Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Return of the Lincoln.

That looks pretty cool - looks like they've thought of rhd too

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I saw an article about a Bentley designer complaining about how it's a dead ringer for one of their models.

It's a beautiful car! But modern vehicles these days are all designed in the same wind tunnels using the same physics and drag calculations, so yes.... they all look similar. It's a cool car.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm gonna own one without a doubt.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Only issue I see with this car is, I don't think they'll be able to price it, like I think they're going to price it. Lincoln isn't regarded as a high end luxury brand...Ford's luxury brand, but not comparable to Benz, BMW or Jag IMO. If they try to match that price point...ie 70-90k, I think it'll crash in a ball of flames.

blacksnapon

Staff member
From my perspective of it, Lincoln is changing things rapidly. When you get new cars in to the dealership, all undergo a PDI (pre delivery inspection). The Lincolns are much, much more involved. They're working toward separate waiting rooms for Lincoln customers. There are different uniforms for Lincoln techs and advisors.

From my perspective of it, Lincoln is changing things rapidly. When you get new cars in to the dealership, all undergo a PDI (pre delivery inspection). The Lincolns are much, much more involved. They're working toward separate waiting rooms for Lincoln customers. There are different uniforms for Lincoln techs and advisors.

That's how Toyota did it when they developed the Lexus brand ..... worked out well for them

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I read the same article about the designer at Bently calling out the boys at lincoln. I always though the 300 looked more like a bently

There was a comedian a few years ago that had a joke along those lines. Something about you feel like you're living high on the hog rolling around in the closest thing to a RollS Royce Phantom a 30k/yr job can get you...until one actually pulls up next to you.

I do the joke no justice, but the point remains the same. But with everyone held to the same standards and shooting for the same goal, some similarities are bound to show up between different makes and models.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon

It's about time. Lincoln used to have a brand identity... not just a Ford with more chrome and gizmos.

That's a beautiful car. What struck me was the level of detail fit and finish. That bad boy looks about production ready.

Lincoln-Continental-concept-1042-876x535.jpg

Here's the upcoming competition- Cadillac XT6

ct6_01.jpg

And the current reigning king of the luxo-barge segment. Expect sticker prices north of $100K for the Cadillac, in line with the Mercedes. If Lincoln's smart, they'll stay in that range. This is a different type of buyer- a car that is priced too low will be perceived as being a lesser vehicle, not necessarily a bargain.

0412_2011-mercedes-benz-s550_485x340.jpg

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
And the current reigning king of the luxo-barge segment. Expect sticker prices north of $100K for the Cadillac, in line with the Mercedes. If Lincoln's smart, they'll stay in that range. This is a different type of buyer- a car that is priced too low will be perceived as being a lesser vehicle, not necessarily a bargain.

I actually was gonna ask on your expertise. I was thinking 60-70k would be the sweet spot. Like you said, recently, Lincoln has no identity, short of being a chrome-ier Ford. With no real share in the 'luxo-barge' segment, can they just hit the ground running? I was thinking it would be more of a gradual transition, start gaining street cred first and build from there. Let's be honest, folks aren't necessarily dropping 100k on a car because they have to, it's to establish status. 100k out of the box for this will do two things IMO 1) Make the folks that can't afford a 100k car say 'look, that dumbass just paid 100k for a Ford' and 2) Make the folks that can afford a 100k car say 'look, it's still a Ford'. Marketing and branding isn't my expertise, but I really think Lincoln has to distinguish themselves better/longer, before they're no longer considered 'entry level luxury'...if that's what they're going for. The Continental is obviously a step in the right direction, would just hate to see it crash in burn by thinking this is gonna be the savior, put them back on the map and make them competitive in that category again.

blacksnapon

Staff member
If you'll notice, they've taken steps to distance Lincoln from Ford all ready (Lincoln motor company). Even the PDI goes as far as measuring door and body gaps then recording them. Matthew McConahey's commercials make no mention of Ford.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
And I get that...that's my point, is I don't think ol' Matty Boy is enough. I don't see surfer dudes in Mercedes, Jaguar or BMW commercials. Dude that doesn't wear deodorant is the wrong guy to promote refinement IMO...haha. And I think Lincoln is going to have to do more than extensive measuring to make that leap from entry level luxury to premium luxury in the public's eye. No different than the same stigma Lexus had with the re-badged Toyotas. Lincoln is going to have to expand, before they can grow. This is the first quarter, no need for a hail mary...lay a better foundation. Right now the public opinion is that Lincoln sells $40-50,000 sedans based on Ford platforms. I don't see how you introduce a product twice that amount, where you have no market share and are taken seriously by anyone. By both the people than can and can't afford it. I don't think Lincoln can sell these cars for cheaper than 100k without losing money, but I also don't think they'll have enough interest to warrant car at that price tag either. I think a stripped version will be necessary to introduce it to the masses. Hell do multiple trim offerings of the same car, just like Mercedes, Jag, BMW do. Let a guy like me, that really wants in on this, but can only afford a 50-60k car, get in on it. But these are all hypotheses...when is a final price tag supposed to be revealed.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles