Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lowering the old ford?

Ok guys sorry for all the questions but this is by far the oldest vehicle Ive ever had to play with and dont know much about them. How are people lowering the 4th gen f-100? Do you have to put a different fnt clip that has a arms or what? It has the straight axle and leafs now. If so what kind of frnt clip are people using with the best results?

It all depends on what you're planning on spending. I put a 72 LTD II front end on mine, i've heard of a lot of people swaping newer crown victoria front ends onto the older fords. You can buy a nice kit from Fat man fabrications, or mulitple other companies. You can also buy a bikini clip I believe they are called and build your own front end. It really all depends on your skill level and how much money you want to put down, and of course what you're looking to get out of the setup.

-TAG

Anything can fit if you're willing to work at it. Nothing is going to slip on like it was made to be there. that's the joy of Custom work. While you may be able to buy a kit that comes damn close. I know Fatman Fab have an mustang II front end on their shop truck. they are a great kit and very popular but can get pretty pricey. Again it's all about what you're looking for. If you want something cheap that you can find in a junk yard and that parts are easily available for without looking like a show truck then I suggest a crown victoria front end. While they may not be the best, they are a heavy front end that is roughly as wide as the truck frame. My father has a 1947 ford and he put a 1965 Chevelle front end on his truck, not becuase it was better but because he got it for free and it works great. If you're looking at building a show truck I suggest the Mustang II front end and it can be found at most major suspension companies, personally I suggest Fatman Fabrications. If you want something that is functional that doesn't break the bank grab a measuring tape and see if the frame on a crown victoria is roughly the same as yours, do some reading get someone who knows what they are doing with a welder and alignments and start cutting. Have fun with it, putting my IFS on was quite the project but it was well worth it I think.

-TAG

Ok so say I find a crown vic front end I can use as a donor. Do they make lowering spindles and springs or do you just have to cut the coils. This truck will most likely never be a show truck especially from underneath but I do want to do it right and make it a nice truck. I also found a company that makes a mono leaf that will lower the front 3" or 4.5" and just keep the straight axle. What is your take on that. Thanks for your input bud Im learning already.

I've got a '63 that I'm in the process of fixing up. I started in the rear, went with mono-leafs to bring it down & soften the ride a bit. I spent a LOT of time researching & reading about front end options. From Fat Man Fab's MII, to the Art Morrison setups, to Flat Out Engineering's Corvette (C4) front ends. All great products. Then I came across the stories about the Crown Vic swaps. You can use the cast aluminum, bolt in cross member and complete front suspension out of a 2003-2007 "panther" platform (Ford Crown Vic, Mercury Marauder or Grand Marquis, or Lincoln Town Car). It's a sweet deal - you get big disk brakes, power steering and a sway bar and you can get it all for under $500. You just can't beat that with a stick! The "hot" setup is to nab the parts out of a police interceptor model Crown Vic, since it has firmer sway bars & springs. The downside? You need to swap out to modern rims & tires (wow, that's rough) so you can pick up cheap takeoffs from any of these new cars (or mustangs) and some guys have even used rims off Dodge Magnums! I'm a fan of getting an 8.8 rear (I'm told the early 90's work well for the width of our beds) and that way you'll end up with 4 wheel disc brakes! I'm actually hoping to score a wrecked PI and swap in the front suspension, rear end (it's too wide for the flleetside (that's why they say to get one from and early 90's car) but I'm going to widen my stepside a few inches & it'll be sweet), and also grab the brake booster & master, possibly the antilock setup, and the entire driveline from the engine & trans to the driveshaft! (Oddly, from the research I've done my wheelbase on my 63 shortbed step side is within 0.6" of the new donor car! It'll drop right into place! Good luck (to both of us!)

Ok so say I find a crown vic front end I can use as a donor. Do they make lowering spindles and springs or do you just have to cut the coils. This truck will most likely never be a show truck especially from underneath but I do want to do it right and make it a nice truck. I also found a company that makes a mono leaf that will lower the front 3" or 4.5" and just keep the straight axle. What is your take on that. Thanks for your input bud Im learning already.

Thats all good info to know, but back to my question. Once you get the crown vic clip on, how do you lower it? or will the clip lower it on its own, or do you have to cut coils, or what?

Ford Truck Articles