Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'79 F-150 Camper Special

Hey guys, I just joined the forum and have some questions about a 1979 F-150 that I'm looking at buying. It is a single cab, long box, 4WD, 400 engine with auto tranny, Custom with Explorer trim package. It also has Camper Special badges on the front fenders. I've researched and found that the Explorer trim is a legitimate possible option addition to the Custom model, but the Camper Special designation doesn't seem to fit. I can't find any Ford literature supporting that they offered it on the F-150, only on the 250 and 350s. I don't think I've seen so much as a photo of one. Is this something that was really a possibility to order on this truck from Ford? If so, I'm aware of changes made to the 250 and 350s, but what benefits did it give the F-150?

All of the paint matches on the truck so I kind of doubt the fenders have been changed, but doesn't mean someone didn't slap the badges on it at one point. The mirrors have likely been changed as there is a second set of mounts on each door to hold larger ones that probably came on the truck stock. Seems if I really want to know I either need to get the VIN and have the Ford dealer get me a build sheet, or look for an additional wire harness by the tail lights. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Great brochures for sure. It's kind of funny back then they were even promoting towing with cars. Seems to be most of the same information I've seen so far in my research. I'm going to see if I can get a closer look at it today.

Talked to the guy on the phone today and he's the third owner. Second owner apparently had it on a ranch and he passed away. Long story short he knew the widow and bought it to help her out and then just re-sell it. So he doesn't know a ton about it. He did say it has dual shocks on the front end, and I remember noticing that when I looked at it the first time. I don't see that in any f-150 photos unless they have had a lift so that may be part of the camper package on it.

The guy said the engine does have a miss right now. He's replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel pump, and put a new carb on it and it hasn't fixed it. Plugged fuel filter maybe? A friend of mine said he's had the starter solenoid go bad on his '79 and it caused ignition problems. Anything else easy to look for that would cause it other than something internal in the engine?

I'll know more tomorrow after I go test drive it.

Talked to the guy on the phone today and he's the third owner. Second owner apparently had it on a ranch and he passed away. Long story short he knew the widow and bought it to help her out and then just re-sell it. So he doesn't know a ton about it. He did say it has dual shocks on the front end, and I remember noticing that when I looked at it the first time. I don't see that in any f-150 photos unless they have had a lift so that may be part of the camper package on it.

The guy said the engine does have a miss right now. He's replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel pump, and put a new carb on it and it hasn't fixed it. Plugged fuel filter maybe? A friend of mine said he's had the starter solenoid go bad on his '79 and it caused ignition problems. Anything else easy to look for that would cause it other than something internal in the engine?

It might of had an xtra battery installed as well ,maybe a more
heavy duty leaf springs & tow package.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Dual shocks are not part of a Camper Package...handling package I believe or the Ranger.

Starter solenoid should have nothing to do with ignition issues...unless there is a bad connection at the solenoid itself.

Look at (as you mentioned) fuel filter...air cleaner..pcv valve....vacuum leaks...there are a multitude of things that can cause crappy running.

Have a look at this manual...

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29167

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Dual shocks are not part of a Camper Package...handling package I believe or the Ranger.

Starter solenoid should have nothing to do with ignition issues...unless there is a bad connection at the solenoid itself.

Look at (as you mentioned) fuel filter...air cleaner..pcv valve....vacuum leaks...there are a multitude of things that can cause crappy running.

Have a look at this manual...

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29167

The Marti report does list quad shocks up front as part of an optional handling package, not related to a camper special.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
No such thing as an F150 Camper Special, last F100 Camper Special: 1967.

I figured as much when I couldn't find anything to support that option in 3 days of internet research haha. No dual batteries, rear wiring harness, spring overloads, etc. on the truck when I looked at it either. A swaybar and the dual shocks up front so appears to just have the front end handling package. Drove really well down the road for it's age. Ended up picking the truck up so now I'm part of the club! Might post a pic or two when I get it home tomorrow.

Took a little longer to get some pics up than I thought. Busy schedule and crappy weather. Anyway here it is. A little surface rust on the back of the box and the front passenger fender is a little roughed up. Other than that it's pretty straight. Extra mirror mounts on the doors must have been from some larger mirrors it originally had.

Attachments

• IMG_20160525_180235_767.jpg
  • IMG_20160525_180252_257.jpg
  • IMG_20160525_180344_011.jpg
Couple more

Attachments

• IMG_20160525_180408_126.jpg
  • IMG_20160525_180512_767.jpg
  • IMG_20160525_180529_645.jpg
Looks like a pretty clean truck. My experience with bumper mounted hitch balls has not been good. :(

Agreed. It will get a proper receiver hitch put on it if I ever decide to start pulling things with it. I've got a '96 1 ton diesel and my '03 F-150 to handle most of those duties though.

Thanks for the comments. Seems like a pretty solid starter truck for what I paid for it, and just enough wear on it that I won't be afraid to use it. It will take a good cleaning under the hood (mice tried to move in), new plug wires, adjust timing, a little carb tuning, and finish properly getting rid of the emissions system to make it really run well.

Well I filled the front fuel tank for the first time yesterday. It's either got a rock between the skid plate/tank mount and the tank or the tank is rusted through. Hopefully it's just a rock and I can weld the tank. I couldn't seem to get a hose through the fill neck all the way into the tank to siphon out the 20 gal of gas I put in so it's dripping out on the ground. Only thing I could figure was there is some kind of anti-siphon baffle right at the tank.

Truck was running on the rear tank when I bought it. Go figure.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If the "unleaded only" orifice was punched out at some point in time, which was common back in the day, it is possible that orifice is lodged farther down in the fill tube.

I dropped both the tanks on my '78, and I don't remember seeing any kind of a restriction on either tank, but there were some changes in gas requirements between '78 and '79 also.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles