Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bringing my 351M out of hibernation after 2 yrs. not running

I've got a '79 F-150 Custom 4x4 with a 351M-400 that has not been cranked in almost 2 years. My dad had been occasionally cranking it for me while I was deployed overseas and one day the remote starter solenoid got stuck on it. He had to pull the battery cable off to kill the starter. I am finally getting around to replacing the solenoid on it and getting her up and running again. Since it's been so long (2 yrs) since it has been cranked, I'm planning on draining the old fuel from the tank, replacing the battery and starter solenoid, and re-priming the oil pump. My question to the forum is, "Is there anything else that I should do prior to cranking the beast to prevent excessive wear and/or damage to my engine?"

I've added several upgrades to the engine and tranny over the years. Some are:

Edelbrock Performer 400 Aluminum Intake (ported/polished)
Holley 600 4-bbl Carb.
MSD-6AL Ignition
MSD Coil
MSD 8.8 Plug wires
Torque Swirl 2" Carb. Spacer
Hooker Headers
Flowmaster mufflers
2.5" Dual Exhaust with X-pipe
Rebuilt C-6 transmission with B&M Stage 2 shift kit
TCI - "Saturday Night Special" Torque Converter
Transmission Cooler
6" Lift Kit
35x12.50-15 Thornbirds
4.86 Motive Gears
Loc-Right Locker in the rearend
Add-a-leaf rear leaf springs
Rancho RS-5000's
Rancho Dual Steering Stabilizers

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You could consider pulling the distributor and spinning the oil oump or even take the plugs out and put a small squirt of oil in the cylinders...some people will pull the coil wire and just crank the engine a little to get some oil flowing

Fellro

Staff member
I have fired quite a few motors without really much prep after sitting along time with no ill effects. Fired a 351W that had been sitting int he woods for around 20 years, practically fired off like it had been a week or so. Cranked it a bit to get some oil flow, then dumped gas down the carb and fired it. Had a car sit for 2 years, did the same thing and it ran on the gas from the tank. The one that really surprised me was the one that sat 10 years and ran the old gas out just fine. I did put a prefilter on before the fuel pump as I didn't quite trust it, but never really had an issue. (BTW, that was 10% ethanol, so much for the rust stories, the 2 year and 10 year were both ethanol blended. )

You could consider pulling the distributor and spinning the oil oump or even take the plugs out and put a small squirt of oil in the cylinders...some people will pull the coil wire and just crank the engine a little to get some oil flowing

DNFXDLI, thx for the suggestions. When I said I was going to prime the oil pump, I meant I was going to pull the distributor and and spin the oil pump. I like the idea of pulling the plugs and squirting oil in there. It might be overkill, but I'd rather play it safe and not damage my engine. It's been a great truck so I really want to do everything I can to keep her alive and strong for as long as possible. Thanks again for the info.

I have fired quite a few motors without really much prep after sitting along time with no ill effects. Fired a 351W that had been sitting int he woods for around 20 years, practically fired off like it had been a week or so. Cranked it a bit to get some oil flow, then dumped gas down the carb and fired it. Had a car sit for 2 years, did the same thing and it ran on the gas from the tank. The one that really surprised me was the one that sat 10 years and ran the old gas out just fine. I did put a prefilter on before the fuel pump as I didn't quite trust it, but never really had an issue. (BTW, that was 10% ethanol, so much for the rust stories, the 2 year and 10 year were both ethanol blended. )

Fellro, thanks for the info. Sounds like you have a heck of a stable yourself. I've got the '79 F-150 Custom 4x4 with the 351M-400 and a C-6, a 2013 F-150 4x4 with a 5.0 Coyote, Auto, and 6" of lift.....both sitting on 35's. My daughter drives a 2011 Mustang and my latest addition is a project 1970 Bronco. I have a 302 crate motor to drop in it.smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles