Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1979 F-250 engine swap....maybe?

So, I am gonna do a thing. I bought a 79 F-250, and am gonna build it. I am also buying a 1999 F-250, and am gonna strip it. Anyone see where I am going with this???

I wanna stuff a 7.3 Powerstroke in my 79. I have looked high, low, and everywhere in between, and find alot of people that have started the swap, none that have finished it. Anyone here know someone that has done it that I can bounce a couple things off?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Put the old cab on the new chassis, that way you have much more than a new engine in an old truck. Brakes, suspension, frame strength, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fellro

Staff member
Number one issue most run in to when doing such a swap is firewall clearance. The old trucks just didn't allow for the turbo and such being on the back.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Put the old cab on the new chassis, that way you have much more than a new engine in an old truck. Brakes, suspension, frame strength, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

YelloThumbUpYelloThumbUp

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I know someone that put a 6.0 in a 77 F100... basically he did what Fellro suggested... he put the old body on the 2005 trucks frame.. (friend of his pretty much gave him the 05 for an engine he was taking out of the 77... ) he did have to shorten the frame because the 05 was an extended cab and the f100 he had was a standard... also had to reshape the firewall and cut the dash up a bit since he was using everything off the 05 and retrofitting it into the 77 body.. took him pretty much 4 years to get it all done...

think thats part of the reason alot of people give up on that kind of project is all the time and labor they end up having to put into it... that guy there started the project in may of 2015 and finally finished it up January of this year... was nice watching his thread as the project moved along..

Ford Truck Articles