Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Looking into building a ranger race truck

I am doing my homework to build a race truck for my local circle track. I have done my home work as to how much a stock 98 or 99 ford Ranger weighs and need some help. I have to have this truck weighing 2500 lbs with me in it as this track has a 1 pound per cc rule. I weigh 500lbs and a bone stock Ranger weighs 3100 lbs. Where can I shed the 1100lbs off the truck but not compromise safety or structural integrity?:headbang:

do you have the track rules for your local track? do you plan on running the truck on any other track? what class do you want to run in? this helps in shaving weight/ shift weight on the rear axle.smiliegitrdonesmiliegitrdonesmiliepeelout

Last edited:
I was informed by a person who runs the class that the 1lb per 1000cc rule applied to lightening this is the bare minimum the truck can weigh. I plan on running the Northern Lights class at my local track only. The rules can be seen at www.spud-speedway.com. After taking a look at the rules please give me your input.:)

Krazykat

Staff member
I am doing my homework to build a race truck for my local circle track. I have done my home work as to how much a stock 98 or 99 ford Ranger weighs and need some help. I have to have this truck weighing 2500 lbs with me in it as this track has a 1 pound per cc rule. I weigh 500lbs and a bone stock Ranger weighs 3100 lbs. Where can I shed the 1100lbs off the truck but not compromise safety or structural integrity?:headbang:

In all honesty, the first response that came to my head is to suggest that you remove the engine and put a hitch on the front. :p

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Unfortunately I think you're gonna have a tough time losing 1/3 of the weight of the truck... Rangers are pretty basic right from the get go - there's not a lot of fluff you can lose for quick weight reduction

In all honesty, the first response that came to my head is to suggest that you remove the engine and put a hitch on the front. :p

get a few more and does some figure 8 train racing ;)

still reading the rules.

the rules are pretty tight!!!!

best i see you can do strip the engine bay of any thing that inst motor related, like wiper bottle, heater core a/c stuff (might have to leave the compressor) see what you have there.

i would get fuel cell, and put it in the front of the bed along with the smallest battery you can find that will start the right. dump the old tank and only fill the cell with as much fuel as you need to finish the race, this will save you weight.

gut, i mean gut the inside, carpet, seats, trim, panels, dash (make a setup that will hold the cluster)

i think the best your going to get is 3300 with you in the seat.

if i read that right you need to weight after the race or before. because if it after try and shot for a gallon of fuel or less in the tank at finish.

just some ideas. the truck should do okay verses other small trucks but a honda civic or like is something else

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts