Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Axle ID

Hello all,

I purchased a '73 highboy recently. Surprised to see disk brakes but wondering about what disks to purchase once started on a renovation. I would like to know something about the axle. Chrome cover so no info there. Excited but very green at this point.

Hoping my five pictures attached; my first post!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_5184.jpg
  • IMG_5185.jpg
  • IMG_5186.jpg
  • IMG_5318.jpg
  • IMG_5320.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I see ball joints, so I'm betting it's a 79 dana 44 from a f 150. Last year for the straight axle, first year for ball joints and disk brakes

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Looks like a Dana 44 to me. When you go to the parts store for brakes look them up for a 1979 F-250 4x4. Was probably changed to get away from the closed knuckle and drum brakes.

Couldn't tell in the pics, did they remove the power assist steering and stuff too?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.

The power assist is all there but I plan to upgrade. Wish they would have done that when the swapped the axle.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
I don't mind the power assist, until it starts leaking anyway. I like the heavy steering feel, the full power trucks steer too easy in my opinion.

I struck out on brake pad part numbers, and caliper part numbers, should be easily found by application, hopefully. I did find the hardware kit # from my last job. I had fits with mine trying to keep the slides in.
7ea1d8ac9b879b0cff184887a2416367.jpg

You guys are awesome! I get what you mean about the assist. I have a crappy shoulder (61) so looking to the future thinking the conversion makes sense.

You guys ever experience the electric PS?

Mark

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I see ball joints, so I'm betting it's a 79 dana 44 from a f 150. Last year for the straight axle, first year for ball joints and disk brakes

Charlie, my '78 has disc brakes?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Check the build date on the door jamb. I bet it has ball joints too.
Probably a late 78, say August or September

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Guess I don't get updates anymore.......

Never heard of electric power steering. Sounds interesting, wouldn't mind hearing more.

Doug, my 78 has discs also, but it's a late production 78. I think the 2wd trucks had discs starting in 71 or 72??

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Check the build date on the door jamb. I bet it has ball joints too.
Probably a late 78, say August or September

Jan '78 build date and yep it has ball sacs. :D

Guess I don't get updates anymore.......

Never heard of electric power steering. Sounds interesting, wouldn't mind hearing more.

Doug, my 78 has discs also, but it's a late production 78. I think the 2wd trucks had discs starting in 71 or 72??

My coworkers '17 F150 has electric power steering. Granddaughters POS HHR has electric steering.. I think the 2wd did have front discs in the mid 70's, as you suggested.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
All the new trucks have electric power steering. Started in 15

Ford Truck Articles