Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

T98 Warner 4 speed

I have been reading the old posts here on the Generation 1 page and noticed a couple of posts mentioning the T98 transmission. I am rebuilding a T98 for my '49 F4 that I am building for my shop truck. I noticed when cleaning up the transmission parts that the rear bearing retainer/transmission mount (8MTH-7085) is damaged. The foot for the transmission mount was bent backward and cracked. Would anyone know where I can find a replacement? Joblot had new ones listed in there catalog but are sold out. I can weld this one but, I would rather replace it if possible.
Thanks, Mark

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I have been reading the old posts here on the Generation 1 page and noticed a couple of posts mentioning the T98 transmission. I am rebuilding a T98 for my '49 F4 that I am building for my shop truck. I noticed when cleaning up the transmission parts that the rear bearing retainer/transmission mount (8MTH-7085) is damaged. The foot for the transmission mount was bent backward and cracked. Would anyone know where I can find a replacement? Joblot had new ones listed in there catalog but are sold out. I can weld this one but, I would rather replace it if possible.
Thanks, Mark

They show up on ebay once in awhile.... otherwise, Joblot is where I'd start. The one on my 52 F6 is also broken.

havi

third member
I would think it's a fairly rare piece. The T98 is uncommon in an F truck from the get-go between 1948-52, and the mounting changed after 1952. And since it's longer than the T9 and T8, those won't help. I'd weld it up for a stop-gap, and continue to look for a replacement. Unless you're in no hurry of course.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it may be a weak part. I have a second transmission for parts, but that piece is missing. I will weld the one I have and beef it up some while I'm at it. I have it straightened and the transmission mount holes in the foot are in the right place now, but I have several cracks to vee out and weld.
Mark

havi

third member
Maybe weld in some vertical triangle gussets on the ends too.

I welded the bearing retainer/trans mount yesterday. I'm pleased with how it turned out. I added two pieces of 1/2 x 2 HR flat, one on each side of the ribs. I made them long enough to weld to the e-brake rib and the seal housing. I think it will survive now.
Thanks, Mark
IMGP5028_zps2ec22a62.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts