Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

C6 transmission advice needed

Hi Folks,

Last year I bought a 1976 F-250; 460 engine; C6 transmission; 2WD; 60K miles, thought to be accurate. Amongst other things, I thought that I should do a transmission fluid change, as the original owner used it to pull a camper trailer, and the fluid probably has never been changed. The transmission works correctly and the fluid appears as a light tan color on the dipstick. The first question is: What is the correct fluid? The owner’s manual (March 1976), shop manual (September 1975), and dip stick all indicate type F. Someone said that Ford started changing fluid type on 1 May 1976. The truck had final assembly on or about 2 June 1976 in San Jose with delivery to the customer on 11 June 1976 in Woodland, CA. The ID tag on the transmission shows the following:

PJD L9 E14
D5TP BDA054261

My second question is regarding the advisability of adding an inline filter on the cooling line. I was considering using a spin-on type filter without the anti-drain back valve. Nominal micron ratings available are 10 with no bypass and 21 with a bypass opening of 8-11 PSI. Both have flow rates of 7-9 GPM (max.) and were intended as transmission filters.
Any comments or suggestions on this “project” would be appreciated.

blacksnapon

Staff member
My opinion.....stick with type F. You'll just have to research filter setups. There's lots of good ones out there. Be advised that the stock in pan filter is very good in the C6.

Ford Truck Articles