Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Info needed on GVWR for diesel F250

Just a quick question ...... looking to buy (if i can make it work) a turbo idi for towing/show off duties. Our rules over here state that for me to import and put on the road without converting to rhd , the vehicle needs to be under 3500kg (7716lb) glw - my question is , what is the glw of a diesel f250 like this one i found on cl , tried looking up vin which i scavenged off the license plate but it only gives me a band between 7001 and 8000 lbs.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6061180972.html

7.3 idi banks turbo zf5 4x4 ext cab

01212_jFopHIOLAy1_1200x900.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
Are you needing the door sticker weight? I can get that later off the old man's 84 similar setup. I am pretty sure it is right in the 7000 territory. my standard cab weighed in just under that, with my gear in back as well.

Are you needing the door sticker weight? I can get that later off the old man's 84 similar setup. I am pretty sure it is right in the 7000 territory. my standard cab weighed in just under that, with my gear in back as well.

Yes please Roger , that would be a great help

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating .. This is not what the truck weighs!

Yes , but the door sticker will say what the gvwr is won't it? Struggling to find decent info Bill ....... if i buy something and it winds up being over 7700lb gvwr then i'm going to be stuck converting to rhd and that is not an easy or cheap thing to do. I've even thought of getting a wrecked one and swapping the bits under the body of my 87 150 to keep the transport guys happy but really want the versatility of an extra cab.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Mark, I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but for a starting reference, my '89 F-250(Heavy Duty) Supercab 4WD with 2 gas tanks WITH a 460 GAS ENGINE has a GVWR of 8800(3990 Kg).

I forgot to mention the transmission is an auto C-6.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Believe it or not, extended cab 6.9 diesel auto 4wd has a GVWR of 8600 lbs/3900 kg.

Bugger ..... just talked to an entry certifier here and there is no way i can get the chassis rerated to under 3500kg 7700lb so back to the drawing board :) . Thanks for the info guy's.

Actually just read your post again Bill , The GVWR is what our version of your dOT use to determine whether a vehicle belongs in the "heavy" vehicle safety class or light duty class. They use 7700lb or 3500kg GVWR as the cutoff point for light duty which means that for me to legally certify a f250 , i have to convert it to rhd and go under the biannual heavy vehicle safety inspection system which is twice the price of "light" duty safety regs...... not to mention that i would have to travel to the next largest town every time i needed a safety inspection.

I have been scouring the 'net for a solution and have possibly discovered a "quasi legal" method that may work - thought i'd post up here and see what you guys think;
If i buy an F250 diesel pickup and also buy a F150 cab from a wrecker/salvage yard i can swap cabs and hopefully use this statement of construction form https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...91a-8daf-db19a06ca226/reg5036.pdf?MOD=AJPERES from the dmv to prove that it is rebuilt ,then i'd retitle it as a F150 with a diesel conversion using this form

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...44f6-853b-eabd471afdaa/reg343.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Then when i import the truck it comes in as a f150 on it's title along with the lower weight class and i'd be able to enjoy a diesel pickup's economy and towing ability - NZ's towing regulations limit us to either the vehicle's manufacturer rating or the ability to pull up the vehicle and it's laden trailer in 7 metres (22 feet) at a speed of 30km/h (18 mph) - in any case towing a trailer that has a laden weight of more than 3500kg (7700lb) brings in a whole different set of regulations that is best left alone.

Ford Truck Articles