Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hey everyone....long time no see...2 seperate discussions here!

Well, ever since my last visit the truck has been running and has never quit on me anymore......though there is one noticeable problem that it has now but has had for some time now and I don't know what to make of it....anyways every once in a while when I let off the gas the engine sounds like it wants to die, and when I come to a stop at a stop light sometimes it wants to die, and sometimes when I just give it a quick and small throttle jab and stop quickl after that the engine does die......sometimes when I put it in park and give it a quick and small rev, it idles kinda rough then acts like it wants to die and sometimes does...and in reverse it especially acts like it wants to then......I am not aware of when the last tuneup was done on it but I will get one soon in case that's what it is.....if not though, then what should I expect? Fuel injectors? Can't be the fuel filter, it's been replaced within the last 1 thousand miles...... Also like at night time, you know the dash light that lights up all the guages and whatnot...well when i let off the gas and listen to the engine die down and act rough, then the dash light gets dim then lights back up quickly when the engine rpms go up once more, also notice the headlights get dim and light back up at the same time as the dash light does and does the same exact thing when the engine dies down and goes back up again......don't tell me it's the alternator or an electrical issue!?!? Once again...1986 F150 with 5.0 Fuel Injected engine, 4x4..incase you don't know or don't notice my sig.....

Other than that though it still runs and when I give it gas it has no problem running and it gets up and goes, no hesitations noticeable at WOT even though it's not seen that very often........

Another thing....im treating myself to a late Christmas present once income tax gets here....and that is im going to probably be getting a dual exhaust....what I am looking for is something really throaty, poppy and backfirish sounding and I want something that's extremely loud as well.(you may be thinking it'll iritate me on the highway with drone noise, but i've been used to that with my buddies f150 with an I6 and straight pipes but to me the drone is music to my ears!!) What size of pipe should I get and what kind of mufflers or system should I choose? I know if I wanted to I could have a buddy weld me up some straight pipes but i'd rather have it legal because for some reason or another the cops love nit-picking at me with my vehicles so I gotta be somewhat cautious of 'em....but I want the loudest sounding mufflers/pipes I can get without being illegal....I know there's a decipal system they run by but I don't care if it goes over that, most of the time here where i live they just look under a vehicle to make sure it has something that at least looks like a muffler lol.......im guessing since my truck is an 86 if i get it done at a shop somewhere they'll have to install dual cats too.....any specific brand i should look for in those too? Depending on how much all the shops do charge around here for it, I might decide to just have my buddy install an exhaust for me, but im just wanting some good ideas before I do anything.........thanks

Fellro

Staff member
I would check both the idle air control and egr valve for your idle issues, if they are carboned up, WD-40 works pretty good at cleaning them.

On the exhaust, check out Ponyracer's post on 351W mods for the pipes, and something like flow master, dynamax, some kind of performance muffler would do. I ran a Dynamax a while back, and it had nice tone at idle, but wasn't excessively loud on the road. A friend of mine is running straight pipes on a 454, he kind of regrets it now, as it is very loud... You could run glass pack mufflers, but I prefer the tone of the flowmaster's and Dynamax's better...

I would check both the idle air control and egr valve for your idle issues, if they are carboned up, WD-40 works pretty good at cleaning them.

On the exhaust, check out Ponyracer's post on 351W mods for the pipes, and something like flow master, dynamax, some kind of performance muffler would do. I ran a Dynamax a while back, and it had nice tone at idle, but wasn't excessively loud on the road. A friend of mine is running straight pipes on a 454, he kind of regrets it now, as it is very loud... You could run glass pack mufflers, but I prefer the tone of the flowmaster's and Dynamax's better...

Thanks, I will definetly be checking in to those...

And as for the exhaust, I have listened to some clips on youtube, and I love the sound of flowmasters.......dynamax's are alright as well...I had a glasspack installed on my '76(still have it) buick with a 350 and a cherry bomb(it's kinda long) and it's ok, but not as loud or as throaty as i'd like. When I mean loud, I want it to be heard from at least a half a mile around LOL. But I could settle for less noise, as long as the tone sounds nice enough to make up the difference!smiliegitrdone

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts