Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cluster Question 88 Bronk 5.0

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
So in the process of getting some little things sorted out on the bronk before i sell it. The cluster was super gross so I took it out to clean it(yea i know who does that) so the printed circuit board on the back of the cluster was super corroded and melted in a few spots(yea wtf) So I had picked a cluster up at a junkyard for my 91 F350 hoping to get my speedo workin in that(was the gears in tcase not cluster) so I was like damn and decided to put my speedo into the junkyard cluster. Sooo my gas gauge might work now as it sits down by empty now, and it always sat at 1/4 full. Decided to see if oil pressure and temp gauge now work, undo oil pressure sender for aftermarket gauge and put a stock sender in, and it works. I dont have a temp sender so I will let you know how that works when I do. But my ck engine light is on. Its never ever ever been on. Anything the cluster would have done? Printed circuit boards had the same number other then my factory 1 had 1 different bulb socket with a diod/cap in it. Any ideas?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Does that year use the IVR ?....might be that if it does.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
IVR? What is that?

Fellro

Staff member
I would think the Internal Voltage Regulator would only affect gauges, as the lights are either on or of, no need to regulate the voltage. It is possible the check engine light has been on all along and the old cluster wouldn't work. Did the CEL come on before the engine would start on the old cluster? If not, it was not working. You can check for codes and see if the light is on for a valid reason.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Im sure it came on before. Alt is charging so that should not be the issue, ill ck it and see

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I gotta learn to read slower :headbang: I read your fuel gauge wasn't working.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
So I had issues running the self test months ago, it wouldnt run. Well it runs now, and I got codes out of it. All codes for all the emissions stuff I have removed. I wonder why it only came on now. Ill post the codes up in a few, forgot the paper in the garage.

Ford Truck Articles