Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ABS control module / EBCM rebuild

Have a 2006 F350 4wd srw 6.0L automatic. Truck is pulling code C1145.; right ABS speed sensor. Checked voltages and connectors back to module and all good. Opened module and noticed a small fried spot on the board. Need to get my board rebuilt (if possible). Does anyone know of a reputable company that does this? Also, if the module is rebuilt, will it need to be reprogrammed? A new module is outside my finances. Oddly, I get no ABS light but am afraid that running with the problem will cause the truck to go into limp mode sooner or later. Anyone know of a trushtworthy company that does ABS / EBCM rebuilding?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
none of the forums i found a mention of anything needing reprogrammed.. ebay you can find some "used" ones for under $100.. about all the autopart stores seem to be remans going 70-180 depending on the trucks configuration and brands module you get...

If you see an autoparts store that sells a reman for the F350, let me know... haven't seen one online yet.

Called all major auto parts placed such as AutoZone, Oreilleys, Advanced Auto, etc, and NONE carry reman ABS control modules or new for that matter. They are OBSOLETE on the Ford OEM parts list.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
weird they were showing up last night on Autozone when i was searching...

but theres also Circuitboardmedics.com.. or you can do like my dad did for his beds motor control module and take it an tv/electronics repair shop to see if they can fix the board for you..

This company can't help. They only repair boards for ONE specific error and are not even capable of noting which specific Ford EBCM by part number this refers to but use the Vendor designation which is not on the module (I don't think) nor on the Ford parts fiche.

From circuitboardmedics.com, "We do repair the Kelsey Hayes 325 ABS module. This is a repair and upgrade service for the Kelsey Hayes 325 ABS module. This module is found on many Ford trucks, including the F150, F250 and F350. The common failure of the module causes the ABS pump to run constantly or a C0265 error code . The ABS module is also commonly referred to as an electronic brake control module (EBCM)."

Since my truck is throwing a C1145 code, they can't help.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ummm thats not what they said... they didnt say they couldnt fix it... they were just saying what they commonly see as the problem with the module.. For example Its about like saying that 90% of charging problems are the fault of a bad alternator... Where the other 10% are caused by broken/loose belts, bad grounds, old batteries.... Just because the 90% situation is the common problem doesnt mean they cant fix the 10% problem too.. So i would talk to them again and see what they can do about it...

When I asked around on my other forums.. CBM was the main ones everyone was recommending for getting the module fixed... the other option was FICMRepair.com. which i kind of recommend that second one begruggedly.. I havent had any board work done by them and seen many have good experiences with them... but i had bad experiences with their CS people.. some parts i had ordered had arrived missing parts and couldnt get a response back from them.. When they finally did respond it was about a year later and i wasnt willing to deal with them again.

Ficmrepair.com doesn't rebuild ABS control modules. I have had work done by them and discussed it with Ed.

As far as circuitboardmedics.com - Here is their full email answer:
George, thank you for contacting us. I am not certain what OEM part you have on your Ford F350. We do repair the Kelsey Hayes 325 ABS module. This is a repair and upgrade service for the Kelsey Hayes 325 ABS module. This module is found on many Ford trucks, including the F150, F250 and F350. The common failure of the module causes the ABS pump to run constantly or a C0265 error code . The ABS module is also commonly referred to as an electronic brake control module (EBCM).

IMPORTANT: ABS system problems can be caused by a variety of things on your vehicle, so please read the following information carefully before placing your order!!

This repair service is for any Kelsey Hayes 325 ABS module that is causing the ABS pump to run constantly or triggering a C0265 diagnostic trouble code when the vehicle is scanned for error codes. Just having an ABS light or BRAKE light illuminated on the dash does not mean that the ABS module is faulty. If you are having problems other than the C0265 diagnostic trouble code or pump running constantly, please call us at 800-547-2049 for further troubleshooting.
https://circuitboardmedics.com/ford-abs-module-repair-c0265-ebcm
----------unquote

I called the fellow and we discussed the issue I am having and he told me they only do the Kelsey Hayes specific unit mentioned above. He was also emphatic that the only error they are set up to make repairs on is the C0265. He told me specifically they don't work on F350 w/C1145 DTC.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
dunno what to tell you then.. other than seeing if you can find an electronics repair shop near by and see if they can fix it or maybe get lucky and find one in a junk yard to replace yours... if you do the junk yard search make sure you get one off a similarly setup truck.. have read in other places that the modules were different between the SRW and DRW trucks. not sure why they were different when your still only controlling 4 corners of brakes but there was something different that caused a different part number between the 2.

The part number for the electronic part is 6C3Z-2C219-AC. Found a dealer that had one on the shelf in Houston through a local dealer in Devine. $339.11 (ouch). It may come in tomorrow morning. I did find that the steal wanted FOUR HOURS labor to install which should only take about one hour if you don't take off the hydraulic part. Take out battery box and you can see the thing... four bolts and it is out. There is plenty of give in the hydraulic lines to remove it. Programming is fairly simple as they basically plug in the VIN to mate it to the PCM as I understand it.

This video will give you an idea what is involved in swapping the electronics without removing the hydraulics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LRu405Fa2Q

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
take out the fender well its even easier to get to lol..

Ford Truck Articles