Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bronco II cowl leak

I recently had found the floor boards and carpet soaked in my Bronco II.
Usually its in the garage but it had to sit out for a month in the rain. I pulled the seats out, propped up the carpet in a few places,
put a fan and a dehumidifier inside and dried out the carpet.

Keep in mind that this is a 1987 BII that has been garage kept since new.

After searching for the source of the water, I found the cowl to be the problem. The caulking where the floor board and the cowl seam is,
had dried and cracked.

I slipped my camera into an access hole behind the clutch reservoir ,
so this picture was taken from the inside. It also shows the rubber flap that covers the drain hole and the caulking where it leaks. Here's an older picture of the bronco.
0022.JPG

The cowl also has about an 1 1/2 " down grade from the passenger side to
the drivers side. And there is no drain on the passenger side.
Here's 180* from the 1st picture
0044.JPG

I took the drivers side fender off too see the outside of the drain hole.
when I ran water in the cowl I could see the water following the sheet metal back under the hood.
101.JPG

It would follow the edge back to where the firewall meets the side kick panel and get inside there too.
Here you can see where the water can run down the seam at the kick panel.
And also the leak between the cowl and firewall.
0052.JPG

The cowl to firewall seam also goes behind the A/C, heat and fan Plenum's and can leak into the passenger side floor. When I parked the Bronco ,
it was leaning so that the passenger side was lower. Causing the water not to drain out properly, and leak here.
0061.JPG
0074.JPG

I stopped the water getting through the cowl to firewall seam buy injecting rubber sealant that I thinned out, by putting a rubber hose on a big syringe.
Through the antenna hole and the grate.
106.JPG
008.JPG

I stopped the water getting into the kick panel to firewall seam by blocking off the area below the drain hole ( behind the fender )
with a piece of aluminum and adding silicone to the seam in the engine compartment.
104.JPG
105.JPG

I havn't had to leave it out since, but I have driven it in the rain and I havn't
seen any sign of moisture yet.
bronco_II-van_003.jpg

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Glad you got the water taken care of man!

I have a leak in the F100,it took out the front of my floor pan where it meets the firewall.The E-Brake Cable just floats free.When I pull that cab and fix the rust holes,i'm gonna seal the crap out of every joint I can find.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts