Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Roadlux...aka...Omni..

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
My attempt at sarcasm didn't come across :D...of course I rotate them...but it also becomes a logistical and time issue.
They were being rotated about 5000 miles, front, back and side to side.
Are you "pairing" the fronts to a rear dual set?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Oh I know, but I have never seen anything wear front tires like this Silverado work truck. It is not my money (heck if it was, it would be a Ford instead ) smilieFordlogo but a fleet management company should be seeing the numbers. You obviously already have, however the better question is what front diff are you running and is there a way to straighten it? The worn out name brand tires are wearing due to an out of alignment issue. Kinda like the older F Super Duties where the front beams had "do not bend" on them, except if you wanted to keep tires on them, you brought them to a shop and had them bent to properly align them.

Are you "pairing" the fronts to a rear dual set?

Axle is an MTL-14, planetary reduction and from what I have researched, that kind of tire wear with aggressive tread is prone to that kind of wear.
Balancing was done in both earlier cases with standard lead...gone beanbags this time.
The difference in handling, road noise and turning is like night and day with the closed shoulder tire...time will tell how they hold up.
They were rotated every different way Ryan...didn't seem to make any difference.
Shocks were also replaced although the old ones felt fine.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Some things you can fix. Some things you can't!

My '79 that I bought new ate tires constantly. Alignments from different shops, several different tires, and camber shims, etc, etc. I gave up after 92,000 miles. But I still wish I had it. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Seems closed shoulder tires are the way to go to get any decent life out of them on the highway.

I have put nearly 12000 miles on these since changing them last November.

Way better handling, no steering wheel pulling anymore and see for yourself the lack of wear.

DSCF5247.JPG

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hey Duncan, have you looked into the front drive axel? I have heard that causes a similar type wear on the tires.

You know, I was debating looking into that....I might just do that now you have mentioned it.

Does that tread load up with mud ? ( Off road )

Not really had any mud yet Mark, they did well on snow and ice.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I am happy to see this pic, that is the principal difference between the ST tires I took off my hauler and the Duravis R250's I put on it, solid outer rib, my ST's looked alot like your old fronts.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm very pleased Ryan, it's too bad I didn't figure it out sooner....on the plus side, when I do get an RV I will be going with this brand of tire...depending of course if the quality goes down the crapper between now and then.

When I picked up the truck today I was talking to the fellow that runs them on his gravel trucks and he told me that a bunch of people have switched to them including a couple of fleets that have 100+ units.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Speaking of RV, any updates?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Speaking of RV, any updates?

No....did some reflecting and for the time being I will not be going there.
The reality of life and work is that it will have to wait....the bikes and car did not go out last year and the quad maybe 3 times.

Going to get the pad done for it this year and then will see how work and life play out.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Funny how that works, feeling it here as well. Wife says she could care less about getting another HD. But she would like a RZR or v-twin quad.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Just for comparison, here is a pick of the Bridgestone Duravis R250 that now reside on the camper. It was between these and the Michelin XPS ribs.

Ford Truck Articles