Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bolt pattern

Fellro

Staff member
It largely depends what motor it was mounted to before. There are too many options to give a good answer based of that info, sorry.

Right now it bolted to a straight 6 not sure which size it is but i heard around that time ford had switched from 5 to 6 bolt on most engines

Fellro

Staff member
If it is a 5 bolt bell, it won't work on the 71 W, they are 6 bolt.

Do you know which they were im trying to identify it online but cant find it as well do you know if the bellhousings can be swapped

Fellro

Staff member
Bells can not be traded. They are removable yes, but not common. I am going to pretty much go ahead and say no, it will not bolt as the 300 6 cylinder has a common bell with the 351W, but many of the smaller 6 cylinders do not. Heck a 6 cylinder from a Maverick did not hove the same bell as a 6 cylinder in a Fairmont. I got burned on that one once. From the little bit of research I did just now, it is not promising.

I guess part of the issue, is there a particular reason you want to buy and install a Ford-o-matic? Everything I found indicates you are better off with a bit more modern transmission.

Fellro

Staff member
If cost is the issue, why are you trying to find a way old transmission? Why not find a newer C4 or C6? What i it going in to?

Fellro

Staff member
By 71, the ford-o matic was already gone. You more likely have the bell you need for the 351W. It is more likely to be the C4.

Ok the gentlemen im buying the vehicle from said it was the ford-o-matic in a 71 f100 so i havnt gotten to look into it more id just like to drop my motor in it and use the same tranny till i have enough for a proper upgrade

Fellro

Staff member
I know the 71 I had a long time a go had the C4 factory, 6 bolt transmission 302. I still have the 302...

Ford Truck Articles