Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cross posted. PS conversion using 75 pump and 79 box. Getting death wobble from the steering wheel as soon as I turn the wheel.

Just finished the PS conversion from manual on my sons 75. && rebuilt pump all new custom hardlines and short rubber to connect where needed. Filled it and cranked the motor a few cycles fill again so on and so on. Got it to what looks to be topped off. Started it up fully not just cranking and it looked as if the steering shaft was moving just a hair, got inside and tried to cycle to the left as soon as I turned the wheel even a hair it was back and forth cycling of the wheel by itself( think dead wobble but its the steering wheel doing it.) I shut it off after a second but seemed way longer. I think it blew the shaft seal near the splines as it is weeping now. What the hell. Is this air trapped in there causing what looks like the destruction of the box? Has anyone experienced this? should I crack the hi pres. line and let it weep while running. Would appreciate any help. We are on a deadline trying to get this thin done before Christmas now. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 12348136_10205513321419885_3422486161340253648_n.jpg
  • 12369004_10205539550395593_6089004090933009294_n.jpg
  • 10286996_10205539543155412_7152577346938267372_o.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
sounds like you have your high pressure line, and your return line mixed up at the steering box.

That will blow all the seals out for sure

Well since the fittings went into the corresponding sized holes I was sure it was right. Great.

sounds to me like the spool valve in the gear box is messed up somehow. there really isnt much you can test for this problem with gauges. main power steering checks are flow, gear box internal leakage, pump relief, and gear box poppet reliefs.

my guess is the spool valve is leaking any trying to move the piston/rack hitting poopet relief

is the gear box new or a reman.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
I did a similar swap quite a while back. The steering box had been in the back under the tool box for a long time, and it did that so bad I thought it was going to break my knuckles hitting them. I had passed it off as damage from being exposed to the elements for a while. I ended up selling the truck before there was a fix. Sorry I don't have an answer how to fix it. I had taken it from the power assist type steering to the self contained steering box.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
No help, but I bought a '74 F-250 that had been converted back to manual steering because the former owner said he had gone through three power steering boxes with the same issue.

Ford Truck Articles