Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need a Camshaft recomend to match my carb

I need a cam that can handle a 600 CFM 4 bbl

i want just a cam that can handle the carb on a 6.6 400 cubic inch

the motor is stock and is going to remain as close as i can to it.

if the stock cam can handle that size carb that would be great

i have no need for any performance the 80 HP at the rear wheels works just fine

only reason i put a 4 bbl on it is i just hate 2bbls.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Then keep the stock cam and set it straight up.

Cam doesn't "handle" a carb....at the very least you will need to change the intake to accommodate the 4bbl...so if you have gone that far, swapping the cam for something along a 265ish advertised duration would work good with that many cubes.
You might want to consider changing the timing chain/gears...obviously the lifters as well...and with the added breathing of that intake/carb, headers and dual exhaust would make sense.

I have a 4bbl intake and after i rebuild the motor it will have new lifters push rods etc. I wont be doing duel exhaust. instead i will be running a single 2.5 inch system. More or less i just don't want a tuning issue and i don't want to over carb a stock motor.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you are going to the time/trouble/cost to rebuild the engine then not doing the mentioned mods...you won't fully realize your ROI...but, whatever floats your boat :)

If you are going to the time/trouble/cost to rebuild the engine then not doing the mentioned mods...you won't fully realize your ROI...but, whatever floats your boat :)

What dose ROI mean?

Since the stock cam will work, i am understanding just set the timing straight up Right?

So if my plans contain stock rebuild of the motor, except the 4bbl intake and carb, and re doing the exhaust in 2.5 inch single. i should have a good running stock motor Right?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
ROI= Return On Investment.

And I'm with Duncan, you're really cutting your legs out from under yourself without taking a look at an upgraded cam. Look at the Comp Cams DEH 255...you won't even have to adjust your carb with that cam, and you'll pick yourself up a good chunk of low rpm torque.

As far as straight up timing...stock timing is retarded 12*...so unless you have an aftermarket timing set, you won't be able to get there. But if you pick up a cam kit...it'll have a dual roller straight up timing set, the lifters you said you were replacing (which means you'd have to go with a new cam any way...because the lifters wear to the cam), new valve springs, new push rods, etc etc...everything you'll need.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Okay, so i will look into the up graded cam. And i am doing a full motor rebuild.

Don't take anymore cylinder wall than needed, and take a look at Tim Meyer Inc., he'll have any and all parts you'll need for your build.

Don't take anymore cylinder wall than needed, and take a look at Tim Meyer Inc., he'll have any and all parts you'll need for your build.

All the parts are coming from Advance Auto, and i do believe this is a virgin block, still have to spec it out. If i can get away with a good hone job i am gonna try, i don't have a machine shop in my area i trust or want to take a chance with.

I checked out Tim Meyer Inc., Is all his stuff performance orientated??

I could not find anything as a parts page, and it dont look like he would sell anything to just rebuild a stock 400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
He can get you anything and everything you need. He's a great guy to talk to and teach you about the engine. Keep in mind he's a small operation and always busy, so it may take a little time to get back to you, but he always does. Last time I talked to him, he called me right after a root canal (or something like that). He can build or get you the parts you need for the stockest of stock builds on up through his monster 434 stroker.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yep..what Ben said...any parts whether stock or performance orientated can be had from him along with great advice.

Thanks for the advice, As far as parts i will need, its cheaper for me to use the local parts store. I just hope, there is no machine work that needs to be done when i rebuild. If so, crate motor here i come lol

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Have you talked to Tim and done a price/quality comparison?

No i have not talked to him, but everything i buy from him has to be shipped to me. and i just really hate ordering things. its bad enough i am ordering a whole truck from LMC minus the cab

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No i have not talked to him, but everything i buy from him has to be shipped to me. and i just really hate ordering things. its bad enough i am ordering a whole truck from LMC minus the cab

It would be worth the call....I live in a third world and have to have things shipped to me...or a place in the States where I pick things up...all in all, it's been a positive experience.
I don't know what your budget is.... but before dropping $$ on LMC, you might want to check out Dennis Carpenter.

Dennis Carpenter, I only found like 3 parts that i need and sad to say cost more then i am willing to pay.

I'll give Tim a call, but unless there is a big difference in price with Tim being cheaper the Local store wins my business.

As for quality, on a stock motor i am not worried.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Dennis Carpenter, I only found like 3 parts that i need and sad to say cost more then i am willing to pay.

I'll give Tim a call, but unless there is a big difference in price with Tim being cheaper the Local store wins my business.

As for quality, on a stock motor i am not worried.

Carry on...I could, but I won't.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts