Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

400 with 429/460 parts?

Im doing a 400 performance rebuild. I've read many articles on rebuilding the 400 and the many ways to do it. Tim Meyer has a nice set of rods and pistons. Hotrod magazine did a 500hp build with chevy rods and mopar kb pistons. John Kaase's engine master build also used chevy parts. I've also seen 351c pistons used.
Question is - is it possible to use 429/460 rods and or pistons in a 400m set up? And if so, any more difficult than using chevy/mopar parts? Pro's and Con's?? Thanks for all your input.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Bore and stroke are different...not sure how the 429/460 parts could be used. TMI is definitely the place to go for the 335 series, with as many options as he has going, there's no reason to hodge podge parts together anymore. Also keep in mind, with the Kaase engine and the Hotrod engine...they were built for show and only had to run for a matter of minutes...not a 100,000 miles. If you're determined to hit 500hp, the only real reliable way I know how to do it, is with the TMI 434 stroker...and that'll set you back several thousand when it's all said and done. Other places with 400 strokers (like Barnett) typically state their big cube 400 strokers have a max life of 100k.

Ford Truck Articles