Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

400 build

primetime

sawmill slave
Well, here`s the truck http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32344&highlight=Neighbors+truck

Here`s the engine

SANY01731.JPG

SANY01751.JPG

SANY01811.JPG

Here`s the parts

SANY01741.JPG

SANY01841.JPG

SANY01821.JPG

SANY0183.JPG

And some stuff I`ve done so far

SANY01761.JPG

SANY01801.JPG

SANY01781.JPG

SANY0179.JPG

My oil galley brushes seem to have gone AWOL, so I have to order some more.

It`s .030 over with Tim Meyer pistons, balanced, rods resized with ARP bolts, Lunati Voo Doo cam 213/219 @ .050, .524/.540 lift, and a Performer intake with a 600 Holley. More coming soon.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looking forward to that pig firing up.

primetime

sawmill slave
Are you going to be able to do a video of it running when your done ??????????

I would LOVE to post a vid. There is only one problem. It took me about 45 minutes to upload 9 pictures to the site. I can only imagine how long it would take me to load even a 30 second vid.

I`ve been wanting to put a 400 together for a long time. I just have`nt had anything that had one. He put an M in his truck that turned out not to be all it could be. So, he got hold of me, said this is how much I`m looking to spend, play with it some if you want, because I don`t want to be embarrased when someone says let er eat.

I tore the M apart to discover that it was already 30 over with a big ridge, so I offered up this 400 that has been taking up space in my barn since 01. He is pretty much done with his end, so I guess I`d better get busy.

primetime

sawmill slave
Holy crap! Is this thing done yet? Well, almost. I had to send it back to the machine shop to be line bored. I put the crank in, spun it, and it had a tight spot. Checked a bunch of stuff and line boring was the answer. Now, I`ve always line bored my own engines, and taken flak for it. Everyone has always told me "if the crank turned nice it doesn`t need it." Well, it needed it.

I pretty much screwed the short block together this weekend, and it will be done next weekend, which is when we are dropping it in. I thought I had some in between pics, but I don`t.

SANY0298.JPG

Nice build! Just one question.

That paint in your lifter valley.. Is it a glyptol paint? I'm not a fan of internal paint period, but if you are, it must be glyptol or it will flake off and do damage.

Derek.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Nice build! Just one question.

That paint in your lifter valley.. Is it a glyptol paint? I'm not a fan of internal paint period, but if you are, it must be glyptol or it will flake off and do damage.

Derek.

Not if it's prepped correctly and applied with some heat applied.. It'll bake it on and NEVER flake..

If you use high heat like 2000* temp paint above applies..

Smokin' Tires with my 5.0 on Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not if it's prepped correctly and applied with some heat applied.. It'll bake it on and NEVER flake..

If you use high heat like 2000* temp paint above applies..

I can see why some people use Glyptol in their engines, though I feel the returns are hardly, if at all noticeable. It has a lower surface tension which allows liquids to be more easily shed from its surface, positively effecting oil drain back. All this you already know, so why Would you use a "normal" paint that does even less in terms of drain back?

Derek.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I can see why some people use Glyptol in their engines, though I feel the returns are hardly, if at all noticeable. It has a lower surface tension which allows liquids to be more easily shed from its surface, positively effecting oil drain back. All this you already know, so why Would you use a "normal" paint that does even less in terms of drain back?

Derek.

Not really, if it's applied evenly it'll make a smoother surface, reduces sludge buildup, and oil drain back as well..

I didn't do the inside of my block as it was very very smooth and reman place coated it with something.. Not sure what but it was already done..

primetime

sawmill slave
It`s alive!!! Finally! I was in the garage yesterday with the exception of 4 or 5 hours from 8:30 am until 3:00 am, back at it this morning at 9:30, buttoned up, in the truck, broke in, and it`s first oil change all done by about 8:00 pm tonight.

It had 80 psi of oil pressure when I primed it, 60 at 2500 rpm and 200*, and 25 at a hot idle.

I`m a pessimist and I was just just about having kittens the entire time we were breaking in the cam because I thought it was noisier than it should be. Idled it down when it was done and found an exhaust leak.

I`ll get some pics tomorrow. The camera was the farthest thing from my mind today.

primetime

sawmill slave
How about some pics.

SANY0299.JPG

SANY0300.JPG

SANY0301.JPG

SANY0302.JPG

An in progress pic high lighting the oil galley mod on #1 main journal. This was right before it went back to be line bored.:headbang:

SANY0269.JPG

And just so I don`t have to start a new thread, the hat mah lady had made for me.

SANY0303.JPG

SANY0304.JPG

I`ll see what I can do about a video.

primetime

sawmill slave
Thanks guys! That coil sure is ugly though. I had fogged it with some paint, but it was wanting to share space with the air cleaner, so I had to move the bracket to bolt it to the head and he was standing there with a digger truck waiting, and we said good enough.

As for the rims, with the lift that was the only way to get it in his garage. He just built the pole barn last fall and poured the cement this spring. All the tools are in the garage, no electric in the barn yet. Besides, he has to put the front fender liners in and cut the diamond plate for the right rear fender braces yet.

Ford Truck Articles