Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Typical place for coolant leak? explorer

2001 Ford Explorer (4 door) sport package, 4X4, 4.0 SOHC, 5R55E.

Hello all,

I went to my car club meeting tonight (natural state rod and custom). Dad broke the mirror on my 56 so I drove the explorer. After I left the meeting the temperature gauge started climbing. I stopped at a parts house and got some antifreeze (50/50 mix). I filled the reservoir and carefully drove on home (watching the gauge).

The area around the thermostat housing is soaked as well as everything in the front of the engine bay. I guess the belt and pulleys slung it all over.

With it being dark out...I can't tell where it is coming from.

Is there a specific place on these that typically leak? Cracked plastic housing or something? If not...is there an easy way to find the leak?

All I know to do is start it in the daylight and let it get hot again (which I don't like doing). LOL

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've heard of putting florescent die in the coolant and using a blacklight to find leaks...

blacksnapon

Staff member
2001 Ford Explorer (4 door) sport package, 4X4, 4.0 SOHC, 5R55E.

Hello all,

I went to my car club meeting tonight (natural state rod and custom). Dad broke the mirror on my 56 so I drove the explorer. After I left the meeting the temperature gauge started climbing. I stopped at a parts house and got some antifreeze (50/50 mix). I filled the reservoir and carefully drove on home (watching the gauge).

The area around the thermostat housing is soaked as well as everything in the front of the engine bay. I guess the belt and pulleys slung it all over.

With it being dark out...I can't tell where it is coming from.

Is there a specific place on these that typically leak? Cracked plastic housing or something? If not...is there an easy way to find the leak?

All I know to do is start it in the daylight and let it get hot again (which I don't like doing). LOL
no common place. Just check all your hoses, clamps, etc.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've got a 91 ranger with the 4.0 pushrod motor, and I just had to change the thermostat housing.

The housing? Is it plastic like mine? If so..doesn't surprise me. :headbang:

Guess that is a ford only part. If it is cracked, I will have to wait until Monday to order one in Harrison. Will have to drive the 56 without a mirror to work Monday and Wednesday (unless it is in stock over there).

Oh what fun modern vehicles are. :suspicious:

Thanks for the help. I will try to see what I can find before I head to the hospital tomorrow. No...I can't drive afterward, so my parents are taking me.

Fellro

Staff member
From your description, I would look closely at the water pump to be sure it didn't become history...

Well....:suspicious:

I have not been feeling very well after Wednesday (other thread). Dad decided he would check the explorer out last night. He filled it with more antifreeze and took it for a drive. The gauge stayed right in the middle where it always does.

The only leak he could find was a small one around the thermostat. After a longer drive (gauge coming up a little)..the engine was soaked again (across the top) and dripping all the way back to the transmission.

I stopped at the parts house this afternoon on the way back from the cardiologist and ordered new radiator hoses (they are stock) and the T-stat and O-ring thing. We will go ahead and replace them while we have it apart. I will look for the leak as we take things apart I guess.

I will let you know what I find. It will be Sunday (if the weather is decent).

Thanks all.

Fellro

Staff member
I had a case a while back with a Jeep Cherokee that would lose a little, but was hard to find what was going on. When the pressure would rise, it would finally blow out, but I couldn't seem to find it sitting still. The lower radiator hose had rubbed through on the harmonic balancer, making a pinhole in the hose... You may have something of a similar nature, in that it is a simple hole..

I think we found the leak. It is leaking where the thermostat housing goes together (only under pressure).

I need help!

Which way does the thermostat sit in there?

The O-ring looks like it sits on a ledge of the thermostat. We put the O-ring side down (spring up) and it leaks worse than before. The housing is not cracked. We are going out now to turn it over and see if that helps.

Does the spring side of the t-stat go up or down? I can't find any pictures anywhere to show me.

The thermostat spring always goes towards the engine. The heat from the engine is required on that side of the thermostat for it to function properly. Hope that helps YelloThumbUp

The thermostat spring always goes towards the engine. The heat from the engine is required on that side of the thermostat for it to function properly. Hope that helps YelloThumbUp

If you say so. :wavey:

Mine has been upside down all along then. :( I replaced it a year and a half ago (or longer) and it was the other way when I took it apart. I just put it back the way it was. :suspicious:

Maybe...maybe it will stop leaking now. I hope!

On a side note: It is too darn cold out there to be working under a hood and get wet. :headbang:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
On a side note: It is too darn cold out there to be working under a hood and get wet. :headbang:

:violin: You wanna attach a number to that complaint? 'Cuz I'd about bet I can beat it....:D

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida

Well, warm the engine up first and let the toasty coolant keep you covered in a warm spray. It will feel just like hot, humid Florida. smilietease

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Google "red tide". Some times Florida smells alot worse than antifreeze lol.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts