Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Increase for the 6.7L Powerstroke

Ford's 6.7-L V-8 Power Stroke Diesel Could Make 800 Pounds-Feet of Torque

6a00d83451b3c669e2013485873918970c-800wi

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Skank, I read both definitions on wiki, and to me ther is not a .05 worth of difference. As torque wrenches are not always used per-pendicular to the earth, so if your pushing up on a torque wrench its ft. lbs of energy that clicks the torque wrench, if you push down on it, its more of a gravitational aspect. So to answer your question, is the truck or car pushing down on the rear differential, or is the rear differential trying to push the front of the truck up? Personally I use ft. lbs., as that is the way it is stated in most manuals.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
As i learned in my Ag mechanics class last week

lb-ft is a measure of tq
ft-lb is a measure of work

the only diference is the rotation force = torque instead of a linear force

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I would argue that one with him, torsion is torsion period, weather the rear axle being put into a torsional force applied by the driveline, or you pulling on a torque wrench putting said fastner under torsional force to tighten it. I have also never pulled a torque wrench in a linear motion, always an arc motion. Now if we were talking about streching a stud with a hollow hydraulic cylinder (a linear motion) and then hand tightening the fastener, then releasing said fastener, I would agree, but then we are talking about an entire different unit of measurement which would be pre strech represented in psi or kPA or Bar. Which is typically what you are trying to achieve when torquing a fastener.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
oh dont make me walk out to my truck and get my book for the exact wording

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Please do, and I will correct it for you.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
And in reference to the OP

engine makers have always held back, hell look at the 12v cummins with the p7100 injection pump AFC, break off the tamper-proof bolt and give me a screw driver and i can have you smoking tires in 10 minutes..

As for 800 ft-lb (lb-ft whatever) of torque..well i should hope with all the electronic BS on motors these days they better be able to hit that factory cause my 12v on the stock turbo has dynoed at 883.....

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Vince as well as a few other Ford techs will give you an exact proceedure for checking a LS rear end, it uses none other than ta-da.....

A torque wrench, which is the identicle unit of measurement period.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID

blacksnapon

Staff member
And in reference to the OP

engine makers have always held back, hell look at the 12v cummins with the p7100 injection pump AFC, break off the tamper-proof bolt and give me a screw driver and i can have you smoking tires in 10 minutes..

As for 800 ft-lb (lb-ft whatever) of torque..well i should hope with all the electronic BS on motors these days they better be able to hit that factory cause my 12v on the stock turbo has dynoed at 883.....
Yeah, but can you still get 17-18 mpg?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
No........................

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
In all seriousness, a unit of measurement is still just that. 1# at 1 ft. is 1 ft. lb. up, down, side to side. It is still 1 lb. at a measured length of 1 ft. lr any devisible there of. I.E. 2 lbs. at 6 inches. a 1/2 lb at 2 ft. no matter if its work performed or whatever you want to call it, its still the same.

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
godblessmud bet that thing will also black out a 4 way stop light. which is what gives us diesel owners a bad name. bet the new fords dont

Ford Truck Articles