Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford Ranger Returning in 2019

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
It's official and it's all over the 'net. Here's a few links:

* http://www.wideopencountry.com/the-ford-ranger-is-returning-in-2019/
* http://www.nasdaq.com/article/ford-ranger-midsize-truck-returning-in-2019-20160518-00685

Rumors have it that the Bronco may make a comeback. IMO, not sure what to think on that one since it wold overlap with it's successor, the Expy, and these and similar short wheelbase 4X vehicles fell under the microscope for being easy to roll and not-so-safe vehicles. Then again, technology has evolved that will help mitigate that risk, so time will tell. :)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I don't like the word midsize.

I like driving a compact truck.

But still, I'll be curious to see what actually hits the streets, and what the pricing will be for one you'd actually want to own.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I don't like the word midsize.

I like driving a compact truck.

But still, I'll be curious to see what actually hits the streets, and what the pricing will be for one you'd actually want to own.

You wouldn't buy one anyway since they'll almost certainly lack a manual transmission option :rofl:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
As the story goes and it only makes economic sense, what's supposed to hit the streets is the same vehicle that is sold everywhere on the face of this planet except here in North America. IMO, the one to own would surely be the diesel, which is expected to be the only engine currently offered in it that will make it under the hood for North America sales. MMmmMMmmMMmm, torque, and for this (and flooring the oil pedal under the right foot) I've never, ever objected to diesels when I'm in the drivers seat.

*I wonder what the insurance companies will think about them.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You wouldn't buy one anyway since they'll almost certainly lack a manual transmission option :rofl:

Fair point, although I will note you can buy a 2wd Colorado/Canyon with a manual.

Not that I'd be very happy about owning a 2wd where I live- I'll drive a lot further than most before I engage the t-case, but I'd definitely need to chain up a couple times a year to make it home.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
One jewel that was in article #2 was that the Bronco will be a result of the relaunch of ranger. That answers a lot of questions about its platform.

If they make them in 2019.... they'll fall into my price range in maybe 2024. lol, I'll start counting now.

Ryan

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I knew about the Ranger resurfacing- that was part of the latest UAW contract that was signed. The question is whether the truck will make economic sense. I've been slowly starting to shop pickups. A Tacoma ExtraCab 4X4 4 cyl Auto (no 6 spd available) comes in at $35,000 and change with minimal equipment. 'smiliecrazy' Discounts aren't even on the table- very tight availability. (Tundra can actually be had for a bit less after incentives- go figure. Just wish I liked the truck more). The Nissan Frontier in the same configuration, but with a V6, comes in slightly less @ $33,000 and change. Just try and find one- dealer stock is almost non-existant. (Nissan makes the last true compact pickup).

Moving to full size, you all know what a F150 costs. $38-40,000 for a 5.0 XLT Supercab 4X4, and it can go up from there. Quickly. Chebbie isn't under consideration (period), and a Ram Express Quad Cab runs out about the same- BUT with higher factory and dealer incentives. Nets out in the low $30's. No matter how you slice or dice it, compact or full-size 4X4 pickup is gonna run in the mid $30's to low $40's... which to me is an astounding amount of money. Given that, the full-size seems to offer better value for the money.

You'll love it when you get it over there , a double cab current gen ranger is about the same size to look at as a gen 10 F150. An extra cab 2wd 6 speed manual wellside (styleside?) is priced at about $28k usd rec retail price here while the top of the range auto crewcab 4x4 wildtrack version is about $46k usd. All models with the 3.2 5 cyl diesel have a 3.5 tonne tow rating and the one's that are around my area get abused to within an inch of their lives by contractors and farmers with no real reports of unexpected failures yet. They drive like a car and actually out perform a lot of cars you can buy here.
Here's a link to the ford nz site where you can see all the options they have available , http://www.ford.co.nz/commercials/2015-ranger

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Ryan, mine had a sticker of just a stones throw south of $30K when it got it, so we'll have to see on the new one. Maybe that global platform and the scale of economics because of this will trim fat from the price tag. IMO, I'd be curious to know how much the diesel will add to the price, and if it has a full frame as I've read conflicting stories. As for who buys them and from what I've noticed for over 20 years is, it's people who want something in this size category and don't want the full size. IMO, if you really want full size, get a F250/F350 and be done with it, but that's me.

Ryan, mine had a sticker of just a stones throw south of $30K when it got it, so we'll have to see on the new one. Maybe that global platform and the scale of economics because of this will trim fat from the price tag. IMO, I'd be curious to know how much the diesel will add to the price, and if it has a full frame as I've read conflicting stories. As for who buys them and from what I've noticed for over 20 years is, it's people who want something in this size category and don't want the full size. IMO, if you really want full size, get a F250/F350 and be done with it, but that's me.

I'm sure you'd get it for less than the starting price of $28k usd that we have to pay here Bill given that even though the Ranger was the best selling ute here last year it still only amounted to 6815 total sales for the year. Scale that up to what you guys would sell surely the price would come down. Mpg is just over 35mpg for the 2.2 Rangers to 26mpg for the top of the line auto wildtrack with the 3.2. Both of these engines are diesels and as far as i know there is no gas option available worldwide yet.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
^^^^^ Questions

a) do you know if it's full frame construction?

b) those MPG figures, are those for 4X or 2X? I ask because, in this corner of the US there are generally two types of pickups. 2X, which tend to be service vehicles and are pretty stripped down and 4X, which generally tend to be "nicely equipped" to decked out. It snows here and boat launch ramps sometimes get green and slimy, for this and other reasons, 4X is very popular.

c) are the bulk of them still built in Geelong, at the plant right next to the side of the highway?

^^^^^ Questions

a) do you know if it's full frame construction?

b) those MPG figures, are those for 4X or 2X? I ask because, in this corner of the US there are generally two types of pickups. 2X, which tend to be service vehicles and are pretty stripped down and 4X, which generally tend to be "nicely equipped" to decked out. It snows here and boat launch ramps sometimes get green and slimy, for this and other reasons, 4X is very popular.

c) are the bulk of them still built in Geelong, at the plant right next to the side of the highway?

Yes they have a full chassis as do the Everest suv's
The mpg figures i quoted have the highest one being a 2.2 diesel 2wd and the lowest figure was the top of the line wildtrack which is the 4wd crew cab 3.2L 5 cylinder diesel auto.
They don't build them in Aussie , they designed them there but they are built in Thailand ( so are Nissan Navara , toyota hilux and holden colorado) , there is also a plant in South Africa and another in Argentina as well.

I have a mate that has had one for 3 years now on his dairy farm and he hasn't managed to kill it yet ...... he is about the roughest bugger i know with vehicles :):)

as far as i know there is no gas option available worldwide yet

The only gasser available for the Ranger nowadays is the 2.5 Duratec but it's been quite overshadowed by the Diesel options. 4WD availability for the gasser is limited to a handful of countries with either cheap gasoline or some CNG incentive (such as Bolivia) and automatic transmission remains exclusive to Diesel-powered versions.

Ford Truck Articles