Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trackbar Bushing Replacement

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
After hitting a bump a few weeks ago i ended up getting a loud thunking sound in the suspension somewhere which has also resulted in a feeling in the floor right under my feet that feels like someones wacking the floor with a hammer.. while i dont know for sure it was the culpret the only thing i could find was some deteriorated track bar bushings.. which im hoping is the cause.. if not the only 2 places to look are the body and spring bushings.. but was unable to determine if either of those were it.. so i started with the track bar...

IMG_2452_zpshwsofvz2.jpg

right after getting it out..

IMG_2453_zpsvto3zc6h.jpg

the bushings have pretty much deteriorated that i could just brush them and it was falling off in dust and crumbles..

IMG_2454_zpsoz30uktc.jpg

20 ton press, chisel, few hammers of various sizes.. and the old ones were out..

IMG_2455_zpsvrxtg6gi.jpg

air hammer was kind of useless.. it kept coming off... if it didnt bounce off into the air it jumped on top of the bar to ding it there... ended up giving up with it..

IMG_2456_zpsfyytspwp.jpg

IMG_2460_zpsorqto0wg.jpg

new bushings in.. (essh what a pain that was)

IMG_2461_zps1f5efjgf.jpg

so pretty...

IMG_2463_zpswyqfl9k7.jpg

Torquing to 385 ft-lbs... dont know if i hit it.. but sure gave it the old school try... Biggest Torque wrench topped out at 300 ft lbs.. (Jerkys seen it.. he knows i dont have small tools lol)

IMG_2462_zpsezrgkrdw.jpg

thats a 30mm socket attached to a 3/4in breaker bar with a 3ft aluminum pipe over the handle and a 5 ft steel pipe over the end of the aluminum pipe.. Whats that old saying?? Give me a lever long enough so i can torque to the OMFG torque spec on a ford suspension?? no.. well close enough i guess...

IMG_2464_zps8xdcv59s.jpg

back home where it belongs... did take it for a test drive.. but miraculously every pot hole and bump in the road mysteriously disappeared... so cant tell if my thunks gone yet.. will have to try and find some tomorrow maybe...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Nice write up. It was either that or the sway bar links going bad. Nice way to apply the Archimedes quote.

i had already done the sway bar links when i first got the truck so they were already ruled out. annoying part now is it seems like all the pot holes and bumps in the road have disappeared..

Ford Truck Articles