Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lund Genesis Roll-up Tonneau

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Finally got around to putting a tonneau on my '09 Ranger. I'd decided a while ago to get one...just took a while to get around to it.

Anyway...I ended up going with the Lund Genesis Roll-up. Cost me $300, shipped, from Auto-Anything.

Before:

After:

I've got more pics and will do a longer write-up on the installation later...installation wasn't hard, but it was rather irritating at a few points, and didn't give a great first impression of the cover. Took me about half an hour, maybe a little more.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Kinda forgot to come back to this...

Fit-and-finish did not impress on installation. I had to file one of the screw heads down so it would fit in the slot where it belonged, and I had to tweak my tailgate adjustment so it didn't interfere with the long rails. Just not quite as easy as I'd hoped it would be.

I think it looks pretty good, though my friend's sister thought it looked a little goofy with the full-width, black LineX'd bed rail and then the tonneau. She has a point, but I like that I've still got my stake pockets.

Since then, though, I'm happy- it rolls up quickly, neatly, and easily. Rolls back down and velcros into place with no trouble. Bows are stitched into the fabric so you don't have to worry about where to put 'em. Not 100% waterproof, but I think nearly all the water I get under it comes in between the bedside and inner box- hardly the cover's fault.

Flaps a little in the wind- not really irritating, but just slightly noticeable at highway speeds with only the rear slider open- door window down covers it with wind noise. I blame the straight bows (over slightly arched).

Only other concern, that hasn't presented any issues so far, is that the "shelf" the bows sit on feels kinda flimsy and sticks out into the bed a little. I've hauled several loads of firewood and some big furniture without any damage to it, though, so I guess if you're careful it's not too big a worry.

EDIT: Dunno what happened to the other pictures I mention above. I'll look for 'em if anybody is interested.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
After six years, the velcro glued to the rails started to lift...I'd noticed it was starting to wrinkle a while ago, but recently it actually came unglued.

Quick email to Lund, and they shipped out a new pair of rails, no charge and no fuss. Guess they mean what they say about lifetime warranty.

Easy install, although again I had to break out a file and do things that were definitely not in the instructions. No big deal for me, but I can image it being frustrating for someone less familiar with making stuff fit together.

Still a positive experience, and I notice they've added a screw to help hold down the velcro strip where my old one started to peel.

Ford Truck Articles