Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hey All, New Guy Here.

Hello, Just registered. My son and I just bought 66 short bed, stepside a few weeks ago. Overall pretty good shape, drove it home about 40 miles in 5 degree weather. New tires, good paint, lights, heater turn signals all in working order. Seller thought it needed king pins replaced but turned out to be steering coupler/rag joint. Was running good until it wasn't, a few blocks from home started to sputter and stall. Was able to coax it home, now it wont start at all. 300 6, hope to find some help here. Look forward to spending lots of time here. Bob

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Welcome to the site!..post up some pics when you can!!

Your truck is a Flairside......the other company uses the Stepside term...:wavey:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Was running fine until the other day. A few blocks from home it started to sputter and stall. Barley kept it running enough to get it home. Now it wont start at all. Fuel filter seems clear, float is floating. Seems like a fuel issue but I'm just guessing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Was running fine until the other day. A few blocks from home it started to sputter and stall. Barley kept it running enough to get it home. Now it wont start at all. Fuel filter seems clear, float is floating. Seems like a fuel issue but I'm just guessing.

Dist cap/rotor?

Check for spark.

If you pop the air cleaner off and look down the carb and move the throttle....are you getting a squirt of gas down the venturis?

Yes, I'm getting fuel down the carb. Pulled dist cap to check for moisture, cracks, pitting etc... The cap, rotor and points look new. What would cause the truck to lose spark from one moment to the next? The truck tries to fire.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes, I'm getting fuel down the carb. Pulled dist cap to check for moisture, cracks, pitting etc... The cap, rotor and points look new. What would cause the truck to lose spark from one moment to the next? The truck tries to fire.

Bad wiring....bad coil perhaps....when you pull a plug wire and use a screwdiver to ground it, are you getting spark?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'll try that tomorrow. So pull a plug wire, any wire? and ground with screw driver? Where exactly? How?

Yes....remove any plug wire.....find a screwdriver with a round tip (like a Philips)....hold the shank of the screwdriver about a 1/8'' away from a good ground and crank the engine....you should get a nice fat spark.

Some people like to remove the center wire from the distributor and use it...either will work...using the distributor ensures the engine won't start

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
so the screw driver 1/8" from a good ground... where do I hold the end of plug wire?

Sorry...long day....put the shank (metal part) of the screwdriver in the plug wire boot....hold the insulated part (handle) while bringing the shank within a 1/8'' of a good ground (engine block cleaned).....then should get that nice fat spark if the HV is working.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
tried the screw driver test, virtually no spark, I mean the smallest hint of a spark from plug wire. nothing from center dist wire. The battery was losing juice from all the cranking the last few days, would that have an effect on this test?

Look at the coil , is the bottom bulging out a little ?

Check to see if the distributer is loose , (spin the whole thing)

You might also try bringing the number one cylinder to the top of the compression stroke and than check to see where the rotor button is pointing.

Ford Truck Articles