Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 question

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
06 f350 4x4 crew cab, 6.0 turbo diesel. The truck would not shift via the switch to 4 high or 4 low from 2 high. I pulled the transfer case motor and was able to manually switch it back into 2 high. Today, got a new trans case motor, and you can now hear it click when changing between 2 high and 4 high. However, no clicks into 4 low and in both 4 high/low the rear wheels wants to lock up when making tight turns. I can switch back to 2 high and everything be fine. Suggestions?

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
Thanks for no responses. I did get differing answers elsewhere. I'll share for those who would ask the same question and wouldnt get an answer on here.
The majority of mechanics I spoke with including Ford Dealership, say that this is proof that your 4x4 is working. If its not "hopping" on dry pavement when making turns its not working (only in turns). It wont do that on mud or snow covered surfaces or straight travel.

Fellro

Staff member
That would be correct on the engagement, as the front diff and the rear diff are not turning at the same rate, so that is what induces the hopping feeling on turns on solid surfaces.

blacksnapon

Staff member
make sure you put everything in neutral(trans and transfer case) before shifting. and push on the brake (the shift motor has to have the brake pedal applied impulse before it allows complete shifts).

Ford Truck Articles