Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tube type tires

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So, I had a bit of an idea, but haven't had much luck finding a definitive answer.

Tube type tires on tubeless rims, using tubes of course. Is it possible to do it safely?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I used to put a lot of tubes in tubeless tires when working in a gas station because people didn't trust tubeless tires. They had no problem.

I do it often with tyres that have been punctured near the sidewall (not supposed to use a pull plug style patch there due to sidewall flex) and have never had a problem.
just keep the pressures up so that the valve stem on the tube never gets a chance to "fret" and it'll be fine.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Shouldn't have any issues doing that Eric

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Thanks guys, like I said it's just an idea at the moment...

I used to put a lot of tubes in tubeless tires when working in a gas station because people didn't trust tubeless tires. They had no problem.

Tube tires on tubeless rims Doug, not tubes in tubeless tires.... Ya old fart

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks guys, like I said it's just an idea at the moment...

Tube tires on tubeless rims Doug, not tubes in tubeless tires.... Ya old fart

You knew what I meant you young smarta**.smilietease

Fellro

Staff member
If the beads are actually different, it would be more for a sealing reason. I see no issue on doing such a thing, the beads just have to interface with the rim, there isn't anything special there.

Ford Truck Articles