Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Without a computer for a few days.

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
Scott will be without a computer for a few days. The hard drive is going bad in our computer and we are going to replace it. He won't be able to get on here for a few days. If you need him you can send me a PM and I will try to help you out.

I just wanted to give you all a heads up.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I build those crazy machines... Let me know if you're spending more than 800-900 bucks or so... I can beat the price in most cases.

Ryan

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
I build those crazy machines... Let me know if you're spending more than 800-900 bucks or so... I can beat the price in most cases.

Ryan

Thanks, I will. It is having problems reading the partitions. I have it at work and we are running some diagnostics on it and are probably going to replace just the hard drive. Hopefully, anyway.

He is going through withdrawal.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Funny how Scott got a new money pit toy that we were giving him suggestions for and suddenly the computer has issues and isn't at home. Hmmmmmm. Interesting isn't it.:nana:

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
Funny how Scott got a new money pit toy that we were giving him suggestions for and suddenly the computer has issues and isn't at home. Hmmmmmm. Interesting isn't it.:nana:

If he wouldn't have broke it then I wouldn't need to fix it. If he wouldn't have bought new wheels for his truck and I would have been able to get me the laptop that I wanted he would not have had any down time.

The money pit toy hasn't been played with for a few days either. I thought since he didn't have a computer he would be wearing the tires out on it but that's not the way it happened.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
if you do have to replace the hard drive, replace it with a SATA drive if possible. you will love the transfer speed boost. if your computer is more than like 4 or 5 years old you may not be able to.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
if you do have to replace the hard drive, replace it with a SATA drive if possible. you will love the transfer speed boost. if your computer is more than like 4 or 5 years old you may not be able to.

Unfortunately the HDD controllers are totally different. You can't replace a parallel ATA drive with a SATA drive.......

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
just depends if they have a sata controller or not.

bowtiehatr, the transfer speeds are marginally faster at best. Only drives with large cache benefit from the extra bandwidth. The seek and read speeds are still usually 7200 rpm's, and overall speed doesn't improve.

Ryan

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
the tranfer rates are ridiculously fast. yes the read speeds are still the same, but the amount it can carry is huge. i built my last tower with a sata 160 as my main, and without raid i can load any program to date from a cd many times faster that a eide drive any day.

bob, like ryan said if your main board is set up for sata you can use sata drives and transfer (for you) picture alot easier. they have sata 150 or 300 which are the two options last i looked. if you dont have a sata controller on your board, then you can install a add-in card with sata hookups, but it does kill some speed.

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
He should be back on tonight.

We can't get it to report any problems with the hard drive. We added some memory though so things should move a little faster. We are running one last test on it right now but so far it has reported no problems either. We think it might be over heating when it is reporting the errors. We will see what the last test shows.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts