Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New starter ?

I should be getting my new starter in today.

My ? is ,anyone think that I should take my old starter gear off providing
that its in good shape an put it on the new since its already worn to the
flywheel,or should I leave the new gear on?...:)

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I would put the new starter on and try it. If it works and sounds ok, I would leave the gear alone

Fellro

Staff member
It isn't that precise that you have to be concerned with it. Also, you typically void the warranty if you take it apart.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Leave it alone, and put the whole new starter on, that's what I did with my 78 F-150 is put a whole brand new starter fresh from NAPA, and it seems to work quite well, and also check your starter solenoid and battery cables.smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogo

Leave it alone, and put the whole new starter on, that's what I did with my 78 F-150 is put a whole brand new starter fresh from NAPA, and it seems to work quite well, and also check your starter solenoid and battery cables.smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogo

Thnx...yea,Im going to check the old starter an see,it could just be
dirty contacts or something,as I'm still currently using it,Im keeping
it for a spare or back up...:)

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Usually starter gear adjustment is done with shims
Usually shims are added to GM products ( Duncan knows all about Gm products )

Ford uses a motor plate to put the starter proper area away, and a nose cone is longer or shorter for the distance
That being said, just sit the 2 starters side by side before you put the new one up, and make sure the nose cone is the same.
Make sure the nose cones are "clocked" the same ( opening hits the flywheel at the same angle)

some nose cones have 3 bolts, some have 2.

Mostly, if you have a good parts supplier, and the tech looking up the starter is earning their pay, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Ford Truck Articles