Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

215,000 Miles And I had To Spend Some Money!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
With 215,000 miles on my 2003, 6.0L Excursion, I had to spend some money on replacing the following:

1) New turbo

2) New driver's side turbo inlet pipe.

3) Install exhaust manifold gaskets and new bolts

My turbo stuck in the open position, which resulted in poor performance and horrible low end power. As well, the mechanic's computer showed that I had low pressure and I had some "codes" that had been generated.

The turbo inlet pipe and exhaust manifold gaskets were leaking and made for a smelly cab when stopped at a light.

All was fixed by my local Ford dealer and trusted diesel tech in 1-1/2 days.

The next week, my truck would not start at 12:30am after arriving back into the Kansas City airport... had it jump started... and all was well. Went to dealer and had batteries tested due to being only 4 years old.... and what did they find out... that I had 2 bad batteries (at least 1 bad cell in each of the 2 batteries). No warning... nothing... just would not start after sitting at airport for 2 days!!!

Now... all is well... I have power, no exhaust smell in the cab and it starts without fail!!!

BTW, my last Blackstone oil analysis report showed that my motor is operating 100% perfect and has always been... so I am feeling really good about it with 215,000 miles on the odometer.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Was the dying turbo perhaps the cause of the exhaust smell?

Ryan

edit: oh, I missed that part in your post. Glad everything is working good!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Was the dying turbo perhaps the cause of the exhaust smell?

Ryan

edit: oh, I missed that part in your post. Glad everything is working good!

Smell in can was due to cracked turbo inlet pipe (flex joint) and to a lesser degree the leaking exhaust manifold gaskets. The factory does not use gaskets.... so they leak over time.... the fix is to use gaskets.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Update - All Is Well At 226,000 Miles...

Update...

Truck now at 226,000 miles as of 2/10/13 and all is well.

Beach, you just keep on keepin' on shining the positive light on the much maligned 6.0.....There has been so much bad said about them and not enough of guys like you reporting on the good. Your 216k miles renews my faith and dwarfs my 84.5k. BTW, other than the FICM going south, mine's been flawless....With diesel prices being what they are I don't drive it much anymore, but when I do, it brings back the smile....

I'm at 160 K and running good. Just had to replace the ball joints. lastest oil report came back good. It's my daily drive in the winter. I just love it. But $80 a week for fuel is a bummer.
Go 6.0

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
My Ex had 175,000 trouble free miles when I traded her in last month. All it had was routine maintaince, Batteries, Alternator, FICM, one sensor, and in the shop for an oil leak.

I hated to see it go but I needed a truck. The ex wouldnt pull a goosneck or 5th wheel.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I now have 242,000 miles and all is well.

Bought a Harley Electra-Glide Ultra Classic motorcycle, so driving the bike more than the car right now.

tumbleweed1

NITE DRIVER
Mine made it to 217 k before I'm finally opening my PS. nothing more than service intervals for the whole 217 k. Have the famous HPOP problems now, but have been expecting something to finally give up. My 4 the PSD. Great trucks!

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
my turbo occasionally sticks in the open position, like after a real hard pull up an on ramp with the boat on the back, then when i let off it and try to get back on it, i just sit there blowing a huge cloud of black smoke. Only happens once in a blue moon, so ill probably let it ride for a bit. My turbo has been finicky for some time now, when the time come ill swap her. 115k with a tune and im pretty happy.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
As of November 15, 2014 I know have 267,000 miles on my 6.0L Excursion.

Have done a few maintenance items... but basically the motor is stock except for new injectors, a turbo and new FICM a while back.

Uses no oil and I still run Rotella-Syn 5W-40 and change it every 5,000 miles.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Good to hear it's still running well!

blacksnapon

Staff member

Have done a few maintenance items... but basically the motor is stock except for new injectors, a turbo and new FICM a while back.

Thats been a good one for sure!

Good to get an update.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My FICM crapped out as well Brad...same year and 85k miles now....not bad at all really!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
As of last week, I am at 280,000 miles on my 2003 Excursion 6.0L PSD.

Running strong and well.

Ford Truck Articles