Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

96 with dual tanks, one tank not working

I bought a new to me 96 F-250 4X4 XLT and brought it home today. I've never had a Ford until this one let alone a rig with two fuel tanks. I pulled into the gas station and filled up the front tank, tried to use the switch to use the tank and it just stalled out. I flipped the switch to the rear tank, put another 10 bucks in the rear tank and was on my way. Are there any common things I can look at to get this thing up and running on the front tank? I can't find a fuse for it although the owners manual says there is one. Any help would be greatly appreciated, after all there's 40 bucks of fuel in the front tank and I want it.

LOL

Thanks

Bob

Might be the fuel sender unit or the switch could be bad. Fuel sender units are a pain to replace, have to drop the tank (they are located on top of the tank under the bed). If you're going to do that you might as well replace the tank. Both of mine were leaking at the weld line halfway up the tank. Took it to a shop and got them to replace both tanks as well as fuel senders.

Syphon fuel out into cans and put it in rear. I always run my rear tank empty and use front as reserve. Rear tank is larger.

Might be the fuel sender unit or the switch could be bad. Fuel sender units are a pain to replace, have to drop the tank (they are located on top of the tank under the bed). If you're going to do that you might as well replace the tank. Both of mine were leaking at the weld line halfway up the tank. Took it to a shop and got them to replace both tanks as well as fuel senders.

Syphon fuel out into cans and put it in rear. I always run my rear tank empty and use front as reserve. Rear tank is larger.

Thank you.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
my truck is opposite, rear tank is tiny compared to front tank. in all honesty, if you dont need 2 tanks, just use your rear one. siphon it out and swap it over.

there are a couple things to check, but that sending unit is what usually goes.... the tanks are pretty darn easy to take in and out, so dont feel that you cant do it. but its a lot easier if they are empty. or close to it. the last full one i pulled i ended up wearing it.

Fellro

Staff member
With 92 and newer, there is simply a check valve in the fuel lines, so the pump has to power up and build pressure. Sounds like the front pump is out. I have had decent success at removing the front pump without having to drop the tank, but I also have done quite a few and know exactly what needs to happen.

Ford Truck Articles