Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

are 33" tires possible........

Will 33 X12.50s fit on a stock 4x4 '94 F150? There is no lift on the truck right now. I have 5 leaf springs on it, and it sits pretty high.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Typically 33" is the absolute limit on trucks equipped with 4x4. You might get a little rub on your radius arms, but it's driveable. I'd suggest something closer to 32", and if it's a 4x2, I'd suggest a 31" tire (like a 265/70/15)

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i think 33x10.5 would be just perfect, but 33x12.5 are um... well REALLY REALLY wide... thats whats on my F250 and they stick out a good distance past the fenders.. but dont rub on my truck which is 2wd.. i dont think they'd work out on an F150 much better...

yes, possible bt I wouldnt go a bit bigger. and yes they are wide.

my buddy is giving me the tires off his Jeep. I can't turn them down for free but I don't want to pay to have them mounted and then find out they won't fit. Thanks for the help.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Its up to you really, 12.50's will likely rub, but you will quickly find out where they rub and usually stop turning just before that instance... Or just let em rub. But its your choice, if they are free. You could run em for awhile and if you dont like them take em off and sell them.

Also, i dont know what kind of tires you have on your truck now. But 3.55's and 33"s dont make to many people happy....
I had 4.10's with my 33"s and it worked well. But you need to think about gearing and what its going to take to turn the larger tires... Unless your already running something close to the same size 32-33" tires...

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Its up to you really, 12.50's will likely rub, but you will quickly find out where they rub and usually stop turning just before that instance... Or just let em rub. But its your choice, if they are free. You could run em for awhile and if you dont like them take em off and sell them.

Also, i dont know what kind of tires you have on your truck now. But 3.55's and 33"s dont make to many people happy.... I had 4.10's with my 33"s and it worked well. But you need to think about gearing and what its going to take to turn the larger tires... Unless your already running something close to the same size 32-33" tires...

Quoted for truth. Friend runs 33's X 12.5 in a '94 Bronco with a 3" lift for clearance. BUT the things got a stroked 351 with a blower, so power isn't an issue.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
With that kind of power, im sure there has been some axle work done, im sure gears would have been addressed at the same time, and if 3.55's worked for him. Thats cause of the power involved..

my truck is a shortbed single cab with a 302, auto, 3.55 gears. Currently have 235x75 BFGs on it. I do no offroading, and only drive a couple miles a day. Almost no highway miles.

Power isn't an issue, only looks and rubbing. I love the looks of trucks with a lift and 33's. Unfortunately a lift isn't in my meager budget and probably won't ever be. I'm still on the fence about swapping the tires. I realize it's not a great idea but I'm not known for great decision making LOL! Thanks again for the replies.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Its gunna be a dog at best....

I like the look too, but what good is it if it can hardly move under its own power, and it for sure cant get out of its own way....

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
my truck is a shortbed single cab with a 302, auto, 3.55 gears. Currently have 235x75 BFGs on it. I do no offroading, and only drive a couple miles a day. Almost no highway miles.

Power isn't an issue, only looks and rubbing. I love the looks of trucks with a lift and 33's. Unfortunately a lift isn't in my meager budget and probably won't ever be. I'm still on the fence about swapping the tires. I realize it's not a great idea but I'm not known for great decision making LOL! Thanks again for the replies.

I've got 31's mounted on the stock Alcoa alloys on my '95. Looks good, and doesn't screw up the power/fuel mileage. Goodyear "Silent Armor" On-Off road's, BTW. Really been happy with the combination of on-pavement handling, quiet ride, and off-road performance. Exceptional wet road traction- important here in Oregon. The truck's also a 5.0, automatic, and 3.55 LS Rr Diff.

OK polarbear, you got me sold! I currently have 31's on my Jeep, I will put the 33's on the Jeep and go with the 31's on the F150. I like the way yours looks. Thanks.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
OK polarbear, you got me sold! I currently have 31's on my Jeep, I will put the 33's on the Jeep and go with the 31's on the F150. I like the way yours looks. Thanks.

Sounds like a good idea. You might have to lift your jeep for 33's though. I know my friend had to lift his cherokee for 31s. He was a bit annoyed when I drove my Dodge D100 on 31s 2wd and no lift and was higher then his jeep LOL

yep it's a '93 wrangler. it had 33's on it when I got it and I swapped down to 31's on it because the 33's stuck out way past the feneder flares. Now I'm back on the 33 kick so I'll put the 31's on the truck.

silverz51

Georgia Chapter member
I've got 31's mounted on the stock Alcoa alloys on my '95. Looks good, and doesn't screw up the power/fuel mileage. Goodyear "Silent Armor" On-Off road's, BTW. Really been happy with the combination of on-pavement handling, quiet ride, and off-road performance. Exceptional wet road traction- important here in Oregon. The truck's also a 5.0, automatic, and 3.55 LS Rr Diff.

Did you raise the front end? Your truck looks a lot like mine. I wonder how large a tire a could put on my stock 15" wheels and have them work without issues... I have the 4R70W tranny and 3.55 gears..

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Did you raise the front end? Your truck looks a lot like mine. I wonder how large a tire a could put on my stock 15" wheels and have them work without issues... I have the 4R70W tranny and 3.55 gears..

Bone stock 4X4. It does have the Handling package and a front limited slip, which I'm told is kind of rare in those trucks. Don't think that changes it's stance much, though.

my truck is a shortbed single cab with a 302, auto, 3.55 gears.
Currently have 235x75 BFGs on it.
I do no offroading, and only drive a couple miles a day.
Almost no highway miles.
Those are 29" tires and I had those on my '91 Bronco for 1 or 2 thousand
miles or so. :) Those sound perfect for what you got and what you do. :)
No kidding. :)

Anyway, with the 29" tires on it, I'd go through the gears so fast on the
ZF I couldn't keep up with all the shifting. LOL :) My lack of experience
with the ZF and the clunky ZF too (even a T18 shifts faster IMO) I just
couldn't keep up with the engine's needs.

Can you borrow some tires and wheels from somebody and just try them
out on your rig? :) That'd be cool as anything and you'll feel-right-quick,
what Polar and Truckin' are sayin' in post #7.

You won't like driving it, only like looking at it.
...is my prediction.

Right now I've got 31.7" 265/75-16E's on the Bronco and they are too big
for the 3.55 gearing IMO and experience. I'll be going to 3.73 gears and
that'll make it feel/act like it's got 30" to 30.5" tires on it.

Alvin in AZ
ps- Get 4.10 or 4.11 gearing and it'll be ok.
pps- How many miles your rear axle got on it? :)

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

If you want a little more room up front, grab a couple spacers and longer bolts and shim out the front bumper. Been running Thunder like that for years...either 1.5" or 1.75" spacers, can't remember which. It still follows the curvature of the fender lines pretty well.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts