Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sag Pump Has Arrived!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So Travis found a saginaw PS pump for me and shipped it 3 or 4 weeks ago. Meanwhile we thought it had gotten lost in the mail but it FINALLY showed up this week. Wouldn't you know that the official grabber green spokesperson of FTF took it upon himself to... well... have a look :rofl2:

iPhoneUpload-1.jpg

Pump looks good :) I'm excited for this swap. I'll [hopefully] get it all installed tomorrow and I'll try to take pictures so I can do a pseudo tech writeup.

iPhoneUpload-2.jpg

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
:cool: :D :rolleyes:

wow i guess it did have a bit of residual fluid left in the pump. i hope it works out for ya!

Last edited:

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
it wont wine like a little *****.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
No Josh what you're hearing is Chris......my pump don't whine...hey Chris you should just make it ram assist....that wouldn't be hard at all....

Ha, awesome Chris. How was the traffic? :p

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Junior, these Ford pumps are pretty notorious for whining. My 94 whined. My 95 whines. Ricks 95 whines. Even Travis's pump whines and he just replaced it last year. It's not necessarily the sign of a bad pump-- it's just IRRITATING.

The reason why I finally chose to do the swap is because my PS pump is leaking like a sieve and the cost of this sag pump isn't any more than a regular stock replacement. It's a much more powerful pump-- the guys on the snow trip who had swapped to a sag pump since the previous snow trip were saying that the snow tracks weren't pushing them around nearly as much; the truck was going where the steering wheel TOLD it to go. I had the issue with the snow tracks basically locking me into a path like a train, very little control over my direction.

It's a very common mod on FSB. Run a search over there for "sag" or "saginaw" and you'll get TONS of threads. I helped Rick swap in his sag pump and after that I just HAD to have it. He fired it up and it was SILENT. Then I turned the wheel and was amazed-- the truck (with 35" BFG M/Ts) was parked on grass/dirt, and without moving forward or back I would spin the entire wheel from lock-to-lock with only my pinky finger. The extra power is not a myth.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
SWEET!
that would be awesome, cause i cant find one anywhere around here.

only thing i n eed to know is do you have AC or not?. i know you have a 351 but having a/c and not makes a big difference i the bracket. unfortunately i dont think the junkyard we have near me has anymore left in the vans but ill check again monday and report back.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
yup the pump and bracket came out of a 94 ford econoline conversion(camper) van.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
the pump in the 1989 Didn't whine.. dunno why.. but i wouldn't' know now i sold it with the inline six

Mine is noisier than the engine sometimes... This might be an idea. :)

FTF'er
Do you have to get different power steering lines or will your current ones work?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You have to get the high pressure line from the vehicle that the pump came out of. The return line on your truck will fit right onto the nipple on the sag pump. The high pressure line on the van that my sag pump came out of was real shabby so I bought a new one. $13 from AutoAnything.com (one of our sponsors). It also requires a slightly longer belt-- 103.75" to be exact.

I just finished the swap and MAN what a difference. The whine is completely gone and I couldn't believe how much powerful the steering is. And it's no placebo-- the difference is not subtle it's VERY big. Turning the wheel with my big heavy truck and 33" tires is now as easy as turning the wheel Trista's little cobalt. It feels like a whole new truck, very responsive to my turning the wheel. I'm 100% satisfied with this swap and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I took pics and I plan on making a tech thread in a little while.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Sweet man, None of mine whine so im a leave em lol.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts