Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

89 5.8 problems

Okay fellas lets start out by telling yal what I have. Its a 89 with a 351 in it. Bought this truck after it set up for a few years. Ran rough so I started with distributor cap, wires and plugs. She was running better. Cleaned out the air idle control and man she was running like a top. Had a small oil leak so I changed out the pcv valve fixed my problem there.
Here is my real problem. Saturday while driving it it started to spit and sputter then shut off. I realized after trying to crank it without my battery dying it would not start without hearing the fuel pump running. So i beat on the fuel pump it started running. Yesterday it did it again so I assumed the fuel pump so I went ahead and replaced it. While driving today it started again. So I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter. Nope not the problem broke down again. Replaced the fuel pump relay started driving and what do you know broke down again. What I have noticed the fuel pump will whine and continue whining and you know you're good. Thats not right. Now I have narrowed it down to an electrical problem. When the motor gets hot the truck will take a dump out on you. Let it cool off and you can crank it right back up. So is this the ECM, ignition module or solenoid.? Im no mechanic but i do fix my own stuff. What could be making the fuel pump run and the truck only run when its running non stop and making it crap out when it gets hot?
sorry about my writing im not good at english either lol

Fellro

Staff member
Being run time and potentially temperature driven, it does lean towards a bad TFI module.

Fellro

Staff member
Most times, no. TFI modules can be very fickle. Many carry spares with them, they can be that troublesome.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts