Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Advice/suggestions dizzy and ignition

Want some opinions and such for a new dizzy for my truck.

I will be going to an msd coil and 8.5mm wires. May even side gap the plugs as well.

Stock dizzy needs replaced, figured if im going to do it i might as well upgrade.

Also, are wiring harness still available for the ignition/dizzy wiring???

Got her running today, ran pretty well for sitting in a field for two years. Dumped a little gas in the carb so the fuel pump would be going faster than the 500cca battery i was using would.

She fired right up and ran. Had loose hose clamps at my secondary filter so i tightened them and let it idle for 10 minutes. Got the throttle linkage hooked up and took it on a 2 mile drive. The power steering being down sucks...

after all my reading and talking with local hot rod guys you cant go wrong with a stock duraspark system if you keep the revs under 5500.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I'm running a GM style HEI distributor on my 78 F-150 with a 400 engine it's an MSD unit, and I'm also running ACCEL 8MM wires with Autolite plugs gapped to the stock specs for my engine, and I highly recommend that setup for its reliability and overall performance.smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I had good luck with ACCEL when id use it on my GM's... My Mustang has MSD... been happy with both...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Stay with the factory distributor. Also another vote for the Duraspark.
I have a factory distributor (recurved with a brass gear) for my 434, if I had any doubts about the factory unit I sure wouldn't be putting it on that engine.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just has alot of play in it. The "deck" moves all over the place, the shaft has more play in itthani think it should,and the gear could probably be replaced.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You could try one of the local parts places...RockAuto perhaps.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
For a rebuild or complete dizzy?

A complete....I'm guessing that there is a bearing and by the time you dick with it that it might be cheaper and easier to get a rebuilt one...plus a warranty.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Mac's Antique Auto parts has a rebuilt for a '76 360 for about $100. Might also want to replace the "brain" while you're at it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts