Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

the path to fastest N/A factory tune speed density truck

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
That's right.. I've determine my goal for my truck.
I wanna be THE FASTEST naturally aspirated factory tune factory ECU speed density truck in the world.

From my research that's basically getting into the 12's 1/4 mile.

So for those of you that don't know the truck here's the spec list.

92 F150 reg cab short bed Flareside

ENGINE
5.0 W/.030 overbore
Flat Top Pistons w/valve relief
Comp 35-349-8 roller cam
Scorpion 1.72 Roller Rockers
Trick Flow Track Heat Twisted Wedge 170cc w/58cc chambers
Ported Truck intake to match heads (Trick Flow intake to come soon)
BBK twin 61mm Throttle Body

EXHAUST
Hedman Long Tube Headers
2.5" pipes
Magnaflow Cats
X-pipe
Dual spintech race series mufflers
Exit in front of passenger rear tire.

Fuel System
255LPH rear pump
Stock volume front pump
BBK Adjustable Fuel Pressure regulator
24# injectors waiting for installation in future

TRANS
AOD
Red Clutch Packs
2" OD band
Rebuilt valve body
Stock Convertor (Need 3k stall)

3.55 Gears Non-LS.

Needed items for goal
Trick Flow intake &TB
3k stall convertor
24# injector installation
4.10 gears and Locker
Suspension overhaul and lowering. Maybe go ahead and do a coil over rear suspension with major traction bars..
Drag radial Tires

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Idk.. I know with 500 miles on the engine and ran like crap and spun entire time down track it ran 10.56 1/8..

Lol.. Was a terrible run and I also let it shift auto then as well.. It was first time it had ever been on track. Hasn't been back since.. Should be mid 9's if makes down track smooth.
So at that point I need to pick up about a second in 1/8th to make the 1/4 mile times work to be down in 12's.
And that amount of time van be picked up with suspension work convertor and more time on the track..

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Also need more timing tweaking and fuel pressure adjustements as I go along..

I really think it can be there.. Just gonna take time..

Goal is early 2016 to be able to lay claim to title of fastest SD stock ecu/tune truck in world..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing how it goes smilieFordlogo

primetime

sawmill slave
Buy some Caltracs. Forget the coilovers. Link style suspension is a pain in the $$$ to set up, and money. This is comeing from a guy who got balls deep in a buggy build with a 4-link rear suspension and gave up after I bought some stuff, started building it, and figured out how much more I was going to have to spend on heims and what not.

Caltracs are simple, proven, and they WORK. Tune what you have, get an air dam on that thing, block off the grill when you are at the track, a sheet of card board will do. The 4.10s are a good start, but you need to make what you have consistent, and hook.

Unfortunately, mid 10s in the 1/8 are a loooong ways from 12s, sorry to say. It may as be a lifetime. Gear it, make it hook, work on your aero. Focus on your 60 foot, small gains there make a huge difference at the top. You can make it happen. Rock out with your c*** out!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Man, ditch the factory tune.

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Buy some Caltracs. Forget the coilovers. Link style suspension is a pain in the $$$ to set up, and money. This is comeing from a guy who got balls deep in a buggy build with a 4-link rear suspension and gave up after I bought some stuff, started building it, and figured out how much more I was going to have to spend on heims and what not.

Caltracs are simple, proven, and they WORK. Tune what you have, get an air dam on that thing, block off the grill when you are at the track, a sheet of card board will do. The 4.10s are a good start, but you need to make what you have consistent, and hook.

Unfortunately, mid 10s in the 1/8 are a loooong ways from 12s, sorry to say. It may as be a lifetime. Gear it, make it hook, work on your aero. Focus on your 60 foot, small gains there make a huge difference at the top. You can make it happen. Rock out with your c*** out!

Mid 10's is high 14's.. But like I said.. The truck was first weekend out on this engine almost 2 years ago.. The combo has came ALONG way in that time..

Its gonna get there.. It can be there with a Lil bit more work.. The convertor and gears are the 2 things gonna make the biggest difference.

Its already worlds better now than it was first time out..

That sounds like a pretty neat goal Chris - just my .02 worth if it was me i'd run it down the 1/4 track now to establish a baseline you can work from .... every time you do a reasonably major mod run her down again to see what gains your'e getting for $$$$ spent.

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind Chris - I'm going to rebuild my engine (87 5.0 ) in the near future and looking at your spec i'm interested to know what your real world driving experience is like now that it has a few miles under its tyres.

1; In your estimate how much performance did you gain over the stock engine?
2; How much did it affect mpg (at nearly $8/gal it's reasonably important as this is my d/d)
3; ballpark estimate on cost of engine build?

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
That sounds like a pretty neat goal Chris - just my .02 worth if it was me i'd run it down the 1/4 track now to establish a baseline you can work from .... every time you do a reasonably major mod run her down again to see what gains your'e getting for $$$$ spent.

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind Chris - I'm going to rebuild my engine (87 5.0 ) in the near future and looking at your spec i'm interested to know what your real world driving experience is like now that it has a few miles under its tyres.

1; In your estimate how much performance did you gain over the stock engine?
2; How much did it affect mpg (at nearly $8/gal it's reasonably important as this is my d/d)
3; ballpark estimate on cost of engine build?

Mark these trucks stock make about 185hp at the crank. Currently guess is 290-300hp to the rear tire.

I get a consistent 12-13 mpg city only in summer. 10-11 in winter with lots of idle time. And I beat the hell out of it

The engine its self I have about 4500 in parts in..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts