Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F250 shuts off

What I have is a 1989 F250 2wd, 351W, dual tanks and 77,000 actual miles.
We pulled a travel trailer about 200 miles round trip and everything when pretty good until we got about 30 mi from home. When I exited I90. I heard the engine drop rpm and quit in the turning lane. It would not start. I switched tanks, still the same. The temp indicated normal temp. After about 15-20 minutes it started and we limped on in to home. Yesterday the wife took the truck to the store (9mi) and it quit with her 3 times. We had alot of parts replaced last year with a fast idle problem which was never completely fixed. So bottom line where do I start looking? thanks for any ideas..Alan

blacksnapon

Staff member
What I have is a 1989 F250 2wd, 351W, dual tanks and 77,000 actual miles.
We pulled a travel trailer about 200 miles round trip and everything when pretty good until we got about 30 mi from home. When I exited I90. I heard the engine drop rpm and quit in the turning lane. It would not start. I switched tanks, still the same. The temp indicated normal temp. After about 15-20 minutes it started and we limped on in to home. Yesterday the wife took the truck to the store (9mi) and it quit with her 3 times. We had alot of parts replaced last year with a fast idle problem which was never completely fixed. So bottom line where do I start looking? thanks for any ideas..Alan
First off, welcome to the site. What I'd be looking at is an overheating ignition module. The symptoms are the same.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Welcome to the site. I would have to agree with Vince on the module. That's what first came to mind reading your symptoms.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts