Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

front drive axles

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
hey everyone i got another question this one is about the front drive axles.... how do i replace or if i even can replace the u-joints???? mine have more play than usual lately and can hear a clunk when i hit a bump down the road.... i have the fully covered u-joints so i dont see how???? its mainly the passenger side and the drivers may have to be replaced also. any tutorial link or advice would be much appreciated

blacksnapon

Staff member
Clunk when hitting a bump would lead me to radius rod bushings.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
No the bushings are new and i know it was the drive axles because i slapped gorilla tape on the passenger u-joint and bang no clunk and when i moved it before the tape by hand it moved like crazy and followed by the clunk.... so thus i need to replace the u-joint

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Not sure where to begin with this one....

First, what axle.

Second how do you know its the front u-joint. If the hubs are unlocked the u-joints shouldnt be spinning, if they are it should be minimal.

But since your positive thats what it is, pull the axle shaft. Requires pulling the wheel, the brakes and the rotor, i THINK the knuckle has to come out to get the axle shafts out, but i could be mistaken, maybe the shafts have to come out to get the knuckle off, i dont remember. Any way. Thats the just of it. Take the front end apart until you can pull the shaft out...

Oh and while your there, check wheel bearings repack them for sure, and ball joints would be a great idea, since you have to do all of that work to get to them anyway... .

primetime

sawmill slave
Spindle needs to come off, but not the knuckle. Check the spindle needle bearings while you`re in there. Them and the seals will probably need replaced. If it`s the passenger side shaft, you will need to cut the metal band that holds the rubber boot over the slip yoke. Then the shaft slides right out. Keep in mind that when front axle joints break they destroy the shaft to. By the sounds of it, yours is at that point.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
yeah i was told the same method for the break down but my question was.... is the u joint on them front drive axles replaceable???? if not i could just get another axle.... and its the passenger side and i know because if you guys didn't read my first to responses.... it moves freely when i move it by hand.... oh yeah one more thing.... is the u joints on the front drive axles replaceable????

ps. is the u joints on the front drive axles replaceable????

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
They can be replaced . Get a manual to help
The passenger side has a CV joint The inner have to pull center diff to release stub shaft . and can be separated there. drivers pulls out

Remove tire, caliber,rotor ,hub(Pay attention And need hub wrench)then pop spindle. the axle will then be able to come out depending on what side . Like said drivers pulls out
passenger side separate at CV and pull remove diff to get last one .

I do them in 4 hrs with all new seal grease pack bearing new cv boots . but I have done lots . Look to full day .

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
They can be replaced . Get a manual to help
The passenger side has a CV joint The inner have to pull center diff to release stub shaft . and can be separated there. drivers pulls out

Remove tire, caliber,rotor ,hub(Pay attention And need hub wrench)then pop spindle. the axle will then be able to come out depending on what side . Like said drivers pulls out
passenger side separate at CV and pull remove diff to get last one .

I do them in 4 hrs with all new seal grease pack bearing new cv boots . but I have done lots . Look to full day .

finally, thanks man. yeah i flipped through my chiltons and haynes manuals and they were a little vague but i got under the truck and check i think ill replace them when i do my lug nuts and rotors think i will have to set a day up for this job

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts