Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1996 f150 please help!!!!!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sorry I missed the part about the fuel filter when you mentioned the parts you replaced ;)

Hmmm... Bad o2 sensor? Clogged cat?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Since it won't fire back up after it stalls, use those 10 minutes to diagnose whether it's lacking fuel or spark- then you'll only have half as many possible problems to look for.

andym

Real men are fanatics
This sounds a lot like a failing TFI module to me.

Sounds like something similar that happened to me a week or 2 back. Truck would run good for a while, but when it warmed up, it would stall out and die, then not want to start up much later, sometimes in 5 or 10 minutes it would start right up, then other times it would not start up for hours. One garage told me it was the fuel pump in the rear tank, and another place checked it out and said it was the mid-frame pump. My truck has the dual tanks too, and has 3 fuel pumps total. 1 in the rear tank, 1 in the front tank, and one on the frame, so check the one on the frame if anything, that could very well be it.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
go drive your truck and get it to quit. pull the wire off of the coil and loosely put it back where it will connect just enough. spin the truck over and if it is firing you should here the pop. if no pop, tfi module or the pickup in the distributor could be bad.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If it's not the TFI module, have you checked out your fuel pressure regulator? Really really cheap part to replace. It's a little round shaped metal device mounted near the back of the top of the engine.

Ryan

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Next time it quits on you, try just turning the key to the "run" position, and see if you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds. If you don't, I would try replacing the fuel pump relay. They can become very intermittent.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts