Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Three on the tree rebuild problems. Help!

Sven7

Derping
Hi everybody!

I've been learning a lot about this truck lately, and my current maintenance item is to fix the shifter. A spacer had worked its way out from between the shift arms in the column, which wreaked havoc up in the shift collar and flange (7228, 3911).

picture.php

So, I got new spacers, bearings, shift collar and column flange from LMC. My problem here is with the last two, parts 43-7350 and 45-0767.

As I awaited some color matched paint, I test-fit them together by hand and noticed that they do not slide together as I'd expected they would. To get the shift collar inside the column flange, I'd have to push very hard or even put them in a vice and I don't want to ruin them.

picture.php

picture.php

I wish I knew how these were supposed to go together, but due to my KIA spacer, the two original parts ground themselves to bits. Guess I should have fixed this earlier. Here is the original. I don't know how snug they are supposed to fit!

picture.php

Can anyone please give me some advice here? Are the collar and flange supposed to be hard to push together? I would assume that since the collar needs to slide up and down during shifting, it should be able to move a bit. What should I do about this?

As a side note, this thread recommends welding the bottom bearing in. I assume that's unnecessary because it wasn't like that from the factory. I like to fix things in the proper way but the shop manual doesn't say much about any of this. Thoughts?

I did call LMC today but the woman said they don't have a technician on staff, and basically can't help me. I don't trust any local repair shops. No one owns column shift manuals anymore, either!

Thank you! [confused]

Ford Truck Articles